Honored Contributor

Re: Betrayed by car dealership

I had a Honda many years ago and drove it forever.  When it was time to replace car I bought a Toyota because I liked the body style better that year.  Both brands had such a good reputation figured it did not make any difference.  Boy was I wrong.  That Toyota nickeled and dimed me to death.  I finally just dumped it and went back to Honda.  My car is 6 years old and has only had oil changes and tire rotation.  All service was done at dealers on all cars.

I would never buy a Toyota product because of the sticking gas pedals that they knew about and did not recall on the Toyota and Lexus models resulting in deaths.  

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Mine's American all the way.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Yes, a Prius and that is why I was reluctant to take it other places even those I trust .  Now no brainer I am not going back. We are essentially a small town and I have people I know who have since been promoted and have moved on working with me.  I should hear from them soon.  I did catch it.... but I never should have needed to catch it.  They were basically okay and fair with me all these years and now I am starting to wonder if that was true.  

I want my$70 dollars back.  And I want them to simply leave me alone.  I will travel to get another car when I need it.... perhaps a Honda or another Toyota dealership. My trust has been shaken and I do feel stepped on and made to be nothing than someones commission opportunity.

Honored Contributor

My sister has a Subaru Outback and always took it to the dealer for inspection and repairs.  The last time she took it there for a state inspection, they found something wrong and she told them to fix it.  Her bill was almost $3k for a car that had less than 40 thousand miles but was a 1995 model.

She is elderly and retired and had to dip into her meager savings to pay for it..  I mentioned it to my husband and he just about fell over.  The part they replaced was about $120.   By the time my sister mentioned it, months have passed and it was too late to do anything about it.

She got ripped off.  My husband repairs all of our cars, trailers and boats.  occasionally, he has to take it to a garage mostly because he doesn't have the tools needed... like an engine lift.

We never take a vehicle back to the dealer for repairs after the warranty expires.  They charge much more than the independent garages.

i am so glad you trusted your intuition. You're a smart lady.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@bonnielu

I would write a letter to Toyota headquarters.  I did this years ago regarding a Volkswagon dealership.  Apparently they took heed of my epistle, 'cause numerous reps descended upon that dealership and I was asked to come back and got excellent service from then on.

It's a good thing to do, not only for yourselves, but by taking the time to make a formal, written complaint you may in the end help others out too - not everybody has the intuition you have!  And, thought time-consuming, you'll feel better in the end as we always feel good helping someone - right!

This, for sure.  Dealerships don't want black marks on them from corporate.  Corporate whips them into shape and I think that is definitely true of Toyota.  So please do this.  Do you have any proof of your estimate from the dealership?   Without having it in writing and only by phone, you have a worse argument to make (your word against the dealership's).  Also state Attorney Generals have a Consumer Complaint division - that's better than a report to the BBB.

Years ago I filed a complaint there and was told by the lawyer at the AG's I spoke to that he would add my complaint to their growing list of complaints and they were already getting ready to send that dealership a cease-and-desist order.  The AG was really monitoring it.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline and @151949,

The original thought behind not buying foreign cars was both that the quality of the cars wouldn't be as good (when in fact it was often far better) and that American workers weren't being paid/used - and the latter isn't the case either.

I do not desire to take this thread off-topic or hijack it from the OP, so I'll stop here.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

I worked for car dealerships for 30 years in the business office. I would never have my car serviced in a dealer's shop unless it's either warranty work or a factory recall. Learned that early on when the place I worked for couldn't manage to diagnose and repair the car I had bought new there,

Recently my 2004 Toyota was recalled due to the airbag issue and I took it into the local dealership. As I sat there waiting, first I was approached by an employee who asked what year my car was and would I like to have it appraised in case I want to trade it in. Nerve, huh? Sent her packing. Then the service advisor comes to me with a very long list of things wrong with my car that needed attention immediately. Told him to just do the recall I came in for and to provide me with a copy of the list and I'd show it to my mechanic. Ten minutes later, I was approached by a second service advisor who told me that there had been a mix up. The list of needed repairs was not for my car, it had been mistakenly been attached to my work order by the mechanic. Yeah, right. Sell me a bridge in Brooklyn.

That dealership still calls me frequently to ask if I want to schedule service and I tell them why I'll never use them. It's very had not to be a sitting duck for places like this. There are honest ones out there but it takes time and luck to find them.

Honored Contributor

OP, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I totally trust my dealer. I've bought three cars from them over the years (Lexus dealer) and have never had an issue. From reading some of the responses and experiences here, I feel fortunate. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My motto is: NEVER trust anyone --- especially car repair places. People that work there change. Owners change. Always be aware that u may be getting ripped off and get a 2nd opinion - or even a 3rd opinion. Glad ur instincts kicked in.

Years ago we trusted most businesses. Life has changed.

Post ur complaint on YELP.com. Also, go to consumersaffairs.com and email ur complaint. You need to follow up with this - otherwise, other people (especially women) will get ripped off by them.

Respected Contributor

Simple response.  Vote with your feet.  Take ALL your business elsewhere.  If you have to go to a dealer to service your hybrid, find another dealer.  Or take both vehicles to your independent garage.  They may be able to service both.  THEN write the dealership OWNER.  Tell him/her your business is going elsewhere and why.  He/she may not care and may not even answer, but at least you're on record.