Esteemed Contributor

Betrayed by car dealership

[ Edited ]

I am a long term customer of a particular dealership in town.  I also have a long term relationship with an independent garage.  I service my  hybrid at the dealership and my older standard type car at the independent garage.  I never mix them.  i just feel more comfy with the hybrid being cared for by the original source.

In any case, all was well for 45 years, yes, that long.  Until two days ago.   We took our vehicle in for the 60,000 mile check.  We waited at a local restaurant, a treat for us when we do the 'car thing.'  Long story short, got a call that we needed major work.  Brakes--- rust... take off the rust.... $600.  And if we waited, $300 more because of the need for rotor replacement.  (it would not be long in any case and WE MUST HAVE THIS DONE).  

I am not mechanical, but I am intuitive.  Something was not right.     I always trusted THEM.  I refused the repair, took the car immediately to the "garage."  I got a call within two hours (I left it there). Not only was there no rust, the brakes were perfect. No problem. Bill $70 to check it all out.  

I am so feeling betrayed. What if I had believe the dealership.  And why would they betray me, try to dip into my retirement savings.  I did call and complain, I wrote a letter to complain.  I talk to myself and complain.  I am feeling so vulnerable yet proud that I caught it. WISH I DID NOT HAVE TO.  

And just in case you are wondering both of my cars are Toyotas.  I could not kill them if I tossed them off a cliff. Never a problem, ever, ever.

Honored Contributor

Re: Betrayed by car dealership

Good for you for your woman's intuition and seeking out another opinion.  Imagine how many the dealership rakes over the coals for money - BIG money from unsuspecting others.

Usually it's the driver anyway who begins to 'feel' or hear something may be wrong with your car. 

And I know too how long toyotas last - my 1998 Rav 4 is still going strong.

Honored Contributor

I totally left the dealership for my car once the warranty period was over for a local repair shop as I know I can completely trust them.  I had more than a few issues with the dealership throughout the warranty period (which did not cost me anything but they never listened to me about what I wanted them to do) but once that period was over I totally turned control of the maintenance of my car over to my local repair shop and could not be happier.

If you are lucky like me to find someone that you can trust, please go with local.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu  You are having the dealership reimburse you for the $70, right? You are contacting the owner of the dealership regarding the fraud his/her employee attempted to committ, right?

If not, why?

And yes, I could have written your story word for word except my "repair" would have been a few thousand and the bill to find out they were liars was $150.

Honored Contributor

They thought they could get you, i would never go to them again,question though,for 45 years you have only bought toyotas?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu

I would write a letter to Toyota headquarters.  I did this years ago regarding a Volkswagon dealership.  Apparently they took heed of my epistle, 'cause numerous reps descended upon that dealership and I was asked to come back and got excellent service from then on.

It's a good thing to do, not only for yourselves, but by taking the time to make a formal, written complaint you may in the end help others out too - not everybody has the intuition you have!  And, thought time-consuming, you'll feel better in the end as we always feel good helping someone - right!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd report them to the BBB

Respected Contributor

Did you contact the owner?  Sometimes it's the people they have working for them that are untrustworthy.  I bought furniture from a small business, family owned, and they removed the old furniture for free.  The two delivery guys delivered the furniture and told me it would cost $100 to remove the old.  So I paid them thinking I misunderstood.  I called the store to ask about their policy and the assured me there should not have been a charge and would look into.  Sure enough got a call back and the two delivery guys had been charging people for removal.  They returned my $100 with a sincere apology.  The two guys were fired.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rust at 60,000 miles?  As little as I know about cars- I would have questioned that too!

With my 1st Subaru, the dealership  had a policy that if went to their service center for all maintenance you would be a new set of tires at 50,000 miles. I thought that was great- since I would be going for maintnenace anyway. Each time they found stuff wrong, above and beyond !! it became apparent to me it was about making enough money to cover the cost (plus more) of the new tires. With my 2nd Subaru the dealership (a different one!) inlcuded the first 2 oil changes with the purchase. They tried to charge me fees to rotate the tires- and  sneak it in last minute. LIke I wouldn't notice! Woman LOL The waiting room was crowded and I made sure others heard me- and they ended up crediting the fee.

Bottom line:  I do not trust dealership service centers! I'll only go to them for recalls.

Honored Contributor

I can understand your dismay, since you have been satisfied with the dealership for so many years, but ownerships change and management changes, and not always for the better as far as the customers.

I have only ever taken my cars to the dealership if I *had* to, for something they would truly be able to handle best. Otherwise, it's a given that their prices will be twice as much as a local shop.

I have a 6-month old car and inquired of the dealership about the cost, installed, of an accessory. On Amazon, the cost of the accessory alone is in the general vicinity of $50, give or take $10. It's assumed that most people can "install" it themselves. The dealership's price? $200. Over my outraged dead body.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all