Trusted Contributor

Beautiful Memorial Service Today for Maya Angelou

I watched the memorial this morning on the Oprah Winfrey Network. It was so beautiful. I loved their eulogies. Oprah's was so moving as was the speeches by President Clinton and the First Lady.

Maya Angelou was a special and remarkable woman. I wish I had the honor of meeting her.

The whole memorial is online now. I encourage others to watch and go to the library and read some of her books. She was truly a woman of virtue and love.

I'm so glad OWN aired it live and shared the memorial with the public via TV.

Always look for your rainbow in the clouds!

Honored Contributor

Re: Beautiful Memorial Service Today for Maya Angelou

She was a wonderful woman and a mentor & inspiration to many!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting where this can be seen in its entirety. We had a post going earlier- she was wonderful to her students. I loved Clinton, Oprah's and the FLOTUS comments. Beautifully done!

Esteemed Contributor

MJFAN, thanks for starting a new thread on Maya Angelou, since the other one unfortunately went by the wayside through no fault of the OP.

Bathina, if you see this, thanks for trying to bring attention to Maya Angelou. I was just getting ready to post when it turned into something totally other than what you started.

I so enjoyed listening to Bill Clinton --he's a brilliant and very thought-provoking man. Oprah had me in tears the whole time she spoke, and once that started, they didn't stop. Michelle O, Maya's son, her pastor....it was such a moving memorial service for such an amazing woman. I never read "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", but these last few days have convinced me that I should.

I haven't posted anywhere on the boards except "Pictures of Just Cats" for several weeks, and just when I decided I wanted to post on a very nice thread because the subject matter was so moving, that happened. Seems to reinforce why I stopped posting weeks ago, but I decided to try one more time.

Respected Contributor

It was me that really took it off course. I got on my high horse about Bergdahl. It's a hot potato topic for sure.

Agree- loved Clinton's remarks. He really has a way of holding your attention with his comments. I was also surprised at how vulnerable Oprah seemed.

Respected Contributor

On 6/7/2014 kittymomNC said:

MJFAN, thanks for starting a new thread on Maya Angelou, since the other one unfortunately went by the wayside through no fault of the OP.

Bathina, if you see this, thanks for trying to bring attention to Maya Angelou. I was just getting ready to post when it turned into something totally other than what you started.

I so enjoyed listening to Bill Clinton --he's a brilliant and very thought-provoking man. Oprah had me in tears the whole time she spoke, and once that started, they didn't stop. Michelle O, Maya's son, her pastor....it was such a moving memorial service for such an amazing woman. I never read "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", but these last few days have convinced me that I should.

I haven't posted anywhere on the boards except "Pictures of Just Cats" for several weeks, and just when I decided I wanted to post on a very nice thread because the subject matter was so moving, that happened.Seems to reinforce why I stopped posting weeks ago, but I decided to try one more time.

Hi kittymom - I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your posts and miss posting with you. I wish you consider posting again, at least a little bit. Smile

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/7/2014 bathina said:

It was me that really took it off course. I got on my high horse about Bergdahl. It's a hot potato topic for sure.

Agree- loved Clinton's remarks. He really has a way of holding your attention with his comments. I was also surprised at how vulnerable Oprah seemed.

I didn't see anything to indicate that you were the one that took it off course....but that is a hot topic, I agree. On these boards, it would be a disaster!

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/7/2014 Lion said:
On 6/7/2014 kittymomNC said:

<p class="MsoNormal">I haven't posted anywhere on the boards except "Pictures of Just Cats" for several weeks, and just when I decided I wanted to post on a very nice thread because the subject matter was so moving, that happened.Seems to reinforce why I stopped posting weeks ago, but I decided to try one more time.

Hi kittymom - I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your posts and miss posting with you. I wish you consider posting again, at least a little bit. Smile

Thank you, Lion, I remember that you responded kindly to that thread I started that got deleted. I found out why it disappeared and I got really mad at QVC, but I was already so frustrated with how people can be on here. I will attempt to shed some light on that somehow in the near future, hopefully without getting deleted again for some "assumed" reaon!Smile

Trusted Contributor

What I enjoy about Bill Clinton is that when he speaks it's like he's sitting in your living room and talking to you. He has notes and puts on his reading glasses, but he seems to never rely on them. He speaks from his heart, slowing emphasizing each word. He also puts things in perspective so beautifully. When he talked about her voice being the voice of God that he gave her and needed back... and then that she "paid attention and taught us how to pay attention." He weaves his speeches so beautifully with metaphors and meaning.

I have watched Oprah interview Maya Angelou and you can tell she is so dear to her. I too felt so much emotion watching Oprah's vulnerability. I loved the wisdom Maya imparted on her in her most painful times. Even though those comments were meant for Oprah, I will remember them and recite them when I feel that pain inside, as we all do sometimes.

I lost my Dad a few months ago, and watching memorials just help me grieve. When the pastor talked about caring for our family and that if you neglect your family, no matter how rich and successful you may be, you have failed. It touched me so much as I was my father's sole caregiver and miss him so much.

These are the TV moments that should be aired for all to see. Thanks everyone for responding and I'm glad I posted about it.

Have a blessed day.

Honored Contributor

Thank you OP and Bathina

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson