Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

@Venezia wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I wonder what time the stoning will commence? 

If this mother is suffering from any emotional or mental issues then I hope she will get help. That being said not one of you can ever know how truly bad she feels and she will never forget what she did.

I hope those of you that are judging her will think of her when you go to your houses of worship and say a prayer instead of a condemnation.

It took her 40 minutes to realize this "mistake"? This is a real problem.

An off duty officer found the baby thank goodness, and took them to the salon. 

Again what time is the stoning since all of her condemers are all perfect. 

No one posting here implied or said they are PERFECT. I'll bet that those posting here who have children NEVER left them in a shopping cart. This mother is NEGLECTFUL, plain and simple. Your defending her and making excuses for her regarding this matter is ABSURD.

This mother is HUMAN, plain and simple.

She is but maybe a troubled human ....it just isn't how mothers of 2 month old infants react. No one is perfect and there is a learning curve with motherhood but working with new mothers for 20 years, mothers uniformly become hyper vigilant with newborns....they worry about every sound or lack of a sound..,,why is baby crying? Why isn't he? If she is so exhausted, that her senses are dulled, she needs help be it caring for her children, medical? Psychological?  But, it just can't be chalked up as a bad mistake....I don't believe she is a criminal....but the story bothers me.....and some of the responses are troubling....as a society, we just can't turn our backs and not intervene or push it off as bad judgement....the little fella is helpless....if I were a neighbor, I would offer help, as a public health nurse, I would evaluate and watch the family closely and be sure she got the help she needed.....even if it were family assisting her more.....

Honored Contributor

Just meaning to lighten the mood here, not go completely off topic, but this whole thread reminds me of a scene in one of my favorite movies, LIttle Miss Sunshine, when two parents a brother and grandfather climb into an old VW Van and drive off, leaving their daughter (about 10 yrs. old) at a gas station after a rest stop.  They drive off and the brother says, "Where's Olive?" whereupon the mother freaks out and they race back to get her. She's waiting patiently at the gas station for them.  The parents had just assumed everyone had piled back into the van, not noticing Olive hadn't.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Just meaning to lighten the mood here, not go completely off topic, but this whole thread reminds me of a scene in one of my favorite movies, LIttle Miss Sunshine, when two parents a brother and grandfather climb into an old VW Van and drive off, leaving their daughter (about 10 yrs. old) at a gas station after a rest stop.  They drive off and the brother says, "Where's Olive?" whereupon the mother freaks out and they race back to get her. She's waiting patiently at the gas station for them.  The parents had just assumed everyone had piled back into the van, not noticing Olive hadn't.

Movies do use this theme.  The whole Home Alone series is based on leaving a young child at home.  Not a two-month old, of course.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I am curious how the 40 minute time period was determined, where was the child, where was the mother, why didn't someone notice a child sitting in a cart that long and investigate, how old was the child.  There are so many unknowns here; it doesn't make any sense.

Someone did notice the child, a client of the beauty salon, where the child was left (in front).  They in turn called the police and waited to see if the mother returned.  The baby was not in distress but was smiling and it was thought that the baby was not out in 100 degrees very long, thankfully.  They approximated the time while waiting, I imagine.

Thank you, I had not read or heard anything about this until I saw this thread.  I appreciate your filling me in on these details.  Very kind of you.

Honored Contributor

I've read a lot of excuses for this woman, she was overwhelmed, had PPD, and the best, human. They could all be true but leaving a child is against the law and she is 100% responsible and should be held responsible. That she should get special treatment because she has small children is not equal justice. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I've read a lot of excuses for this woman, she was overwhelmed, had PPD, and the best, human. They could all be true but leaving a child is against the law and she is 100% responsible and should be held responsible. That she should get special treatment because she has small children is not equal justice. 

No one is saying she wasn't responsible.

Enjoy living in that glass house.

Respected Contributor

" I forgot my baby". Oh, please!!

Sorry, but if you forget your baby,  you deserve a  big L tattoo on your forehead for  LOSER !!!!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Just as a poiint of interest in breaking a routine:

I inadvertently left my garage door open for several hours when I left the house yesterday.

I drove out of the garage and down the street, realized I'd forgotten something, turned around and parked near the entry to the driveway (shared by several other homes), and went into the house via the garage door.  I picked up the item, locked the door, and went back to the car.

When I got back into my car, I was not looking at the garage and just drove off, leaving the garage door fully open.  I only realized it when I returned home several hours later to see the garage door wide open. Nothing was touched.

I do not even have a smart phone, so there was none of that kind of distraction!

On the other hand, I would not have forgotten my dog anywhere.

So, make of that what you will.  It's easy to get distracted by a change in routine, but not realizing where a loved one is probably will need some sort of looking into.

I agree under usual circumstances; sometimes I forget to take my meds when I change my routine in the morning because I think I took them but to forget my 2 month old baby,  no....as a new mother, you are cued into and focused on your child who is helpless and dependent on you...I think there is a problem

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

No one is saying she wasn't responsible.

Enjoy living in that glass house.

They did charge her with a misdemeanor - child neglect....usually when that occurs, CPS will follow the family as it should be. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Apparently you are not aware of the legal concept of "extenuating circumstances". 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.