Honored Contributor

Re: BIG tree in California didn't survive!

@ValuSkr wrote:

Here's an NPR article about the tree with before and after pictures.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/09/508919216/iconic-sequoia-tunnel-tree-brought-down-...

It says tunnel trees were popular in the 1800's, used to promote tourism.  I don't think they're made any more.

Perhaps if they're on private property...but thankfully they can't do this to trees in our National Parks or Forests anymore 

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

As a native born Californian, this makes me so sad. A treasure of nature, to be sure. Such a loss.

Me as well, we are going to trek back up there as soon as our weather gets warmer. 

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

The Big sequoia tree in Calaveras County California was toppled by the weekend storm.

The tree was hollowed out in 1800. It's not clear why the tree fell, but probably had to do with the giant sequoia's shallow root system.

So glad we walked through it last October. Sad to see it in pieces on the ground. 

Sorry I don't know how to post pics, maybe someone can for me.

@MaRina  Oh no!  I visited this tree as a child, and took my child through it when she was ten.  What a loss to California.  I have pictures with my Mother's old Pontiac in it and my SUV.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

The Big sequoia tree in Calaveras County California was toppled by the weekend storm.

The tree was hollowed out in 1800. It's not clear why the tree fell, but probably had to do with the giant sequoia's shallow root system.

So glad we walked through it last October. Sad to see it in pieces on the ground. 

@MaRina  Oh no!  I visited this tree as a child, and took my child through it when she was ten.  What a loss to California.  I have pictures with my Mother's old Pontiac in it and my SUV.

@mousiegirl it could be you're talking about the Chandelier redwood, the opening is large enough for an SUV. A large vehicle couldn't fit through the one that was toppled, old time cars or maybe a VW. Not sure when they stopped letting cars through but know it's been a long long time.

You can still drive through the Chandelier, it's located 180 miles north of San Francisco and is large enough for big vehicles.

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

@mousiegirl it could be you're talking about the Chandelier redwood, the opening is large enough for an SUV. A large vehicle couldn't fit through the one that was toppled, old time cars or maybe a VW. Not sure when they stopped letting cars through but know it's been a long long time.

You can still drive through the Chandelier, it's located 180 miles north of San Francisco and is large enough for big vehicles.

@MaRina  Thank you, I didn't realize there were other hollowed trees, but you are correct as I now remember the name.