Honored Contributor

Re: BIG tree in California didn't survive!

It would be wonderful if they could grow some more of this species

Honored Contributor

Some of those old trees that were cut down were more than a thousand years old.  One in CA went back to the time of Christ.

There is one good thing that came out of that, though.  The rings of trees are a visual record of climate throughout their time, floods, drought, etc.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

There is wonderful work being done with preserving old trees, it's become a passion for some environmentalists.

They are taking sprouts and segments of old trees still viable, copying the DNA and regrowing parts of those trees in protected areas.

A wonderful project imo!

Yes we have had all sorts of folks working with our ancient oak these past few years. The tree was featured on several news sites:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-town-tries-to-care-for-and-let-go-of-its-ol...

This was a feature done by Steve Hartman (CBS) it shows my lovely town and our poor tree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDzVhqYlXXk

Sorry about the audio.

Respected Contributor

I have a photo of my dad holding me up in the air as a baby (I'm 66 now) in front of The Chandelier Tree, another of the "drive'thru" sequoias in N. CA.

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

The Big sequoia tree in Calaveras County California was toppled by the weekend storm.

The tree was hollowed out in 1800. It's not clear why the tree fell, but probably had to do with the giant sequoia's shallow root system.

So glad we walked through it last October. Sad to see it in pieces on the ground. 

Sorry I don't know how to post pics, maybe someone can for me.

We drove through it in 1960.  That and Disneyland were the two things I wanted to see when our family took our first trip across country.

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

The Big sequoia tree in Calaveras County California was toppled by the weekend storm.

The tree was hollowed out in 1800. It's not clear why the tree fell, but probably had to do with the giant sequoia's shallow root system.

So glad we walked through it last October. Sad to see it in pieces on the ground. 

Sorry I don't know how to post pics, maybe someone can for me.

California has had a serious drought for over five years now.  We've lost a lot of trees because the drought made them weak.

That may have contributed to that tree falling down and not having roots strong enough to hold it upright.

Honored Contributor

In retrospect, I think the one I remember is one that is (was?) up by Redding.  Is that a different one?   Now that I think about it, as it's been decades since I've been there, I think it was wide enough for two lanes.  I could be wrong, though.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

In retrospect, I think the one I remember is one that is (was?) up by Redding.  Is that a different one?   Now that I think about it, as it's been decades since I've been there, I think it was wide enough for two lanes.  I could be wrong, though.

There is a Redwood tree you can still drive through 180 north of San Francisco.  It's called The Chandelier Tree.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry. It's not hallo, it's hollow.

Honored Contributor

As a native born Californian, this makes me so sad. A treasure of nature, to be sure. Such a loss.