Esteemed Contributor

Re: Autumn the giraffe is expecting again

We've had the site up all day watching this sweet bebe. It's made for a lot of smiles at our house.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Good morning everyone.  Yesterday's neonatal exam of the baby went well according to the zoo but they won't reveal anything until the media event on the 12th.

This morning's zoo post:

The new calf is doing great and rested well last night. So why is this birth so important? Worldwide, there are only 33 institutions that have a total of 119 Masai Giraffe in their collections. There is one in Europe, three in Asia and and 29 in North America. The 119 animals include the 18 births that occurred over the past 12 months. Every time we are successful with a recommended breeding, we move one step closer to a sustainable population, learn vital information about the species, and bring attention to a species and the conservation issues affecting their wild counterparts.

Greenville Zoo's photo.

I need to read more about this put sustainable population where- in captivity? If so, at some point, if they haven't already,  they will start to lose all their normal survival instincts and normal wild behaviour and will become essentially a completely different animal, except on the outside. Not trying to start a fight, just food for thought and the things I worry about with zoos, among other things.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd rather the giraffes and other endangered animals be bred in zoos and reserves than go extinct.

Rhinos, tigers, elephants and countless others animals could be gone in 10-20 years if we don't act now.
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
I'd rather the giraffes and other endangered animals be bred in zoos and reserves than go extinct.

Rhinos, tigers, elephants and countless others animals could be gone in 10-20 years if we don't act now.

how about instead of fighting fires, we spend more time and money in preventing fires in the first place?? That is all I am saying.

Esteemed Contributor

Poaching and safaris and the lusting for blood and ivory and rhino horns are the problem.

That's a tough battle due to the economies and cultures around the world. Jmo, but breeding in captivity is far better than losing God's creatures.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:
Poaching and safaris and the lusting for blood and ivory and rhino horns are the problem.

That's a tough battle due to the economies and cultures around the world. Jmo, but breeding in captivity is far better than losing God's creatures.

We are losing them because of people so I go back to what I said originally, lets put the money and time into protecting them in their natural habitat. Yes, it is a tough battle but I think the animals are worth it and deserve it. Captive animals are not the same animals as the ones in the wild due to the unnatural habitat and conditions. Plus so many zoos don't treat the animals well, although that is getting better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let's not argue please.  Both points are valid.  Zoos are an evil necessity not only for species preservation but for education and getting people, especially children, to love animals enough to want to protect them.  I would be thrilled beyond words for zoos to not be necessary but as long as Earth is populated by homo sapiens they will be needed. 

Personally, I don't want to have to explain to a following generation what a giraffe or an elephant or a Siberian tiger was, I want them to see for themselves; ideally in the wild but if it takes a modern zoo to insure a species does not go extinct I'll settle.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
We've had the site up all day watching this sweet bebe. It's made for a lot of smiles at our house.

Why,

large-v2-ct1024.jpg (298×318)

Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone noticed that when you look at that sweet bebe's head from above, it's little horns(knobs ?) and markings look like a smile ? Add the twitching ears going in all directions and it's a party going on. Just hilarious !
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Marp ! Eyes, nose mouth can all be seen in the markings if you look at it from above. So cute ! Really cracks us up.

And...is it wearing Chuck Taylor 's ?