Honored Contributor

Re: Autumn the giraffe is expecting again

Oh, gosh, @Marp!  I didn't know about this wonderful news!  I've been checking every day and night...  but some days the giraffe cam wasn't working.  And last night was the first night I didn't watch. 

HeartHow sweet!Heart  Thanks, everyone, for the information!  I'll go look at the Facebook page.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo, I'm sorry I didn't @ you when I made the announcement this morning.  I just did the ones that were on the list.

Is there a way to set up a universal notice to past posters of a thread, a list so to speak?  With something like this it sure would be helpful.

Back to the baby, check out the adorable videos on the zoo's FB page.  This one is very lively, curious and confident.  The wobbly legs get in the way at times but on so cute when that happens.

ETA:  They have had trouble with the cam for the last couple of days and there was lots of panic around the world.  Thankfully it is working well and staff is doing an excellent job of following the baby.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Marp wrote:

@dooBdoo, I'm sorry I didn't @ you when I made the announcement this morning.  I just did the ones that were on the list.

Is there a way to set up a universal notice to past posters of a thread, a list so to speak?  With something like this it sure would be helpful.

Back to the baby, check out the adorable videos on the zoo's FB page.  This one is very lively, curious and confident.  The wobbly legs get in the way at times but on so cute when that happens.

ETA:  They have had trouble with the cam for the last couple of days and there was lots of panic around the world.  Thankfully it is working well and staff is doing an excellent job of following the baby.

Oh, it's okay, @Marp!  The thread is easy for us to spot.Smiley

I'll definintely look at the videos.Heart

Re: setting up a list,  you can try the "Macro" feature in your settings.  I'll warn you that it can act really wonkySmiley when you try to use it for "@notifications" so I'll add a link to a thread in which we tried to figure out what was happening.  If nothing else, you can use a macro to create a "reminder list" of nicknames.

Thread title:  "? About Macro feature"

link to thread: 

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Suggestion-Box/About-Macro-feature/m-p/2359938/highlight/true#M18884

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

http://www.wyff4.com/news/watch-autumn-delivers-baby-giraffe/37768748

I think this link will show the birth. They are having a contest to name the baby and plan to check the sex around 24 to 48 hours after birth.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@doxie1, yes that is it but it is going to be terrifying for some because of ending with the baby just laying there (which for readers unfamiliar that is perfectly is normal).  The other SC station did not show the birth but shortly after, once the baby was on its feet.

Thank you for posting the link.  I rarely check that station's website.

Honored Contributor

Greenville Zoo's photo.
Greenville Zoo's photo.

Cat Very Happy
Respected Contributor

@Marp  I posted it since someone asked about it.  I think it is safe to watch since we know the end result. You are right that it is scary when the calf is flat on the ground appearing to not be moving at all. When you see it breathing it gives you such a great feeling. I did see the one of the baby getting up too. It is adorable.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned a giraffe tidbit tonight through one of the local TV stations.

There has been concern from cam watchers that Autumn isn't letting the calf nurse long enough/enough.  The station advised that in the wild a calf will only nurse for about 20 seconds at a time because they have to be ready to respond to a threat.  The zoo said the short nursing times is normal and Autumn is being a great mother.

Honored Contributor

I know I can't but I'd love to kiss that calf's nose.  That face, heck even Autumn and Walter's faces - there's just something about them - they are kissable.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

There are a couple of other photos on the zoo's FB page.  The link is to the FAQ.

Here's a few photos from this morning, along with a Giraffe FAQ... thanks for all your inquiries and well wishes! http://bit.ly/1PUJPkg

•  
    Giraffe FAQ | Greenville Zoo, SC