Honored Contributor

Aurora Borealis

[ Edited ]

The aurora is supposed to be very active this week and may be seen in some of the more Northern cities in the US.  Here's a beautiful video done in Yellow Knife, NWT, Canada, one of the best places in the world tto view the aurora.  This is high on my bucket list.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sI1s5SbYpU8l

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The aurora is supposed to be very active this week and may be seen in some of the more Northern cities in the US.  Here's a beautiful video done in Yellow Knife, NWT, Canada, one of the best places in the world tto view the aurora.  This is high on my bucket list.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sI1s5SbYpU8l

@Kachina624

I looked, but this is a clip about North Dakota.  Really wanted to see those pretty lights.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe Strange, when I click on it, it brings up the aurora.  Try copying and pasting it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I have seen the aurora borealis in Labrador City (north of Newfoundland on Canada's East Coast).  They are magical.  LM 

Respected Contributor

The link doesn't work for me. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

It has its beauty and also it's legends.  Some see it as a portend of an upcoming bad event. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Your link takes me to John Oliver ...

I have seen the AB once in my life. I was in the lower margins of where it can be enjoyed, and so it wasn't as spectacular as it can be, but worth the sight just the same.

Valued Contributor

Great thread, Kachina!  Thanks for posting this.  The link in your OP is also taking me to John Oliver.  These things have a mind of their own!  But it inspired me to run a search on YT, and I found lots of beautiful videos.  I'm not sure which you had intended us to see, but I figured I'd post this especially lovely one from Yellowknife, Can. in 2012.  It's long though... 5:33.

CLICK HERE

And this one seems to be the most popular (from 2011)...

CLICK HERE

Honored Contributor

Yellow Knife, which is on Great Slave Lake, is the home of the Canadian Space Agency's aurora observatory.  You can go there every night and see what's going on.  It's not live but the picture changes every 30 seconds.  I've always been fascinated with it but have never seen it.

By the way, Great Slave Lake covers 10,000 square miles and is huge.  There is a lot of diamond mining in the area (who knew?).

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, Canadian diamonds sell at a premium.  Probably more of a marketing thing than anything else.  LM