Honored Contributor

Re: Are you ready for winter?

No real preparing for winter as in dealing with snow and/or frequent freezing temperature is necessary where I live. We get rain if we're very lucky, and never enough, so that's rarely an issue either.

Wood for the fireplace will be bought and added to the current pile, I'm sure.

I have been buying flannel sheets, sweatshirts & sweat/flannel pants and new coats - rain and puffer - because it's colder here than where I had been living. I think I'm set for snugglies now.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Ugh, I am mentally fighting the thought.  We don't really have much to prepare.  We moved the furniture off the deck last week and I have to put a lot of gardening stuff back in the shed.  Since we are retired, and have a SUV to drive in the winter, we don't need to put on winter tires.  Our furnace was serviced recently.

However, I do have a lot of lawn and garden chores to get done.  Our leave are just starting to turn, so hopefully we have several weeks of fall weather remaining.

Now thinking of Christmas shopping that really depresses me, especially when on the local news today they said most people have already started or mostly completed their shopping.

Honored Contributor

I have a service scheduled for the furnace but that is all I have done so far.  Leaves are starting to turn and there is a ****** in the air. Our last two winters have been so mild I don't know what to expect. 

Honored Contributor

Well we took the plunge and got the roof ordered. We spent more than what we thought it would be. but we got rubber shingles rather than asphalt. We won't have to think about a roof again in our lifetimes. It seems the EPA made the asphalt shingle companys use less tar, than they used to, as a result they have had  countless lawsuits about crummy roof jobs. This is starting the rainy season so I guess my husband will tarp the corner of our roof until they can come out and start the job

Our leaves have started to turn but not to drop yet, but soon the frost will be on the pumpkin

Honored Contributor

For us getting ready for winter is just closing up camp and driving to Florida. When we arrive there I do usually like to fall houseclean so that takes some effort and time. 

Honored Contributor

Yes!  Even though we are still in the 80s here.  

I couldn't stand it anymore and put my velvet sheets on the bed and my two Irish sweaters arrived from QVC yesterday so I'm ready!  Probably won't get cold for another month or so but I don't care.  

I think we did 100 plus straight days of 90 degrees or more through September and we are still not far from it.  Yesterday was the first 80 degree day in I can't even remember when.  

I am beyond done with the sun!

Frequent Contributor

No, not ready for winter. The yard company comes until the leaves have all fallen. DH gets the furnace cleaned and ready and the cars winterized.

Now is a good time to look for good prices for ice melt.

Everything else the regular handy man takes care of such as windows and gutters.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Honored Contributor

We are not ready for winter but we have time.  DH is taking our jet ski this weekend to get winterized.  We have to get our boat winterized but we will wait.  You never know when we will get a warm enough day to be out on the water some more.

DH generally makes sure the snowblower is in working condition and we put our Harley in storage.  We don't have to do much fall clean-up around the yard since we had to have our trees cut down.  We don't get leaves to rake so it's just a matter of keeping the grass mowed until we don't have to mow anymore.

The last thing we do is clean our chimney so we can start lighting our woodburner.  But again, we can't do that until we are ready to burn because the birdies love to build their nests up there.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: cked Re: Are you ready for winter?

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Have stocked the sling near the fireplace with seasoned kindling and swept out the firebox, have a Costco-sized bag of driveway salt in the garage, and will replace rakes with shovels.   We're ready for the blowing and drifting in Wisconsin.

I am ready for snowing & drifting in S.  WI.  Another advantage of being retired.

DH has a snow thrower.

Respected Contributor

ABSOLUTELY !  BRING IT ON !!!!