Honored Contributor

We are trying to get ready. It looks like we need a new roof. We just discovered a small leak by our fireplace. We suspect it is the phlanging sp?, but even though the roof looks solid it's 27 years old. It always something when you have a house

We have a guy coming out today to give us an inspection and an estimate. I wish we would have had rain this summer we might have spotted it earlier.

I can't believe how soon it will be winter

do you do anything special to prepare

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you ready for winter?

It could be a problem with the chimney cap.  I had that problem once - water dripping in front of the fireplace.  The chimney cap was about 20 years old and needed to be replaced.  Would be worth looking into anyway - cheaper than replacing the roof.

Esteemed Contributor

I am picking up a couple of pounds to help insulate my body from the cold.

Honored Contributor

well, lets get through autumn first. we have been getting lots of rain and very windy conditions the past couple of days here....and are under flash flood warnings also.

the main thing we do during autumn is a cleanup, but that will be ongoing through october and into early november. leaf removal, weeding, tree branches that have gone down need to be removed, grass cutting, cutting down plants,  window washing, and continued grass cutting. heating inspection will be done by our service company.

after THAT i am ready for winter!!!!!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

W don't really prepare for winter.  

Like @sunshine45 said, we need to do some Fall cleanup - take the cushions off the patio furniture, start picking up leaves, generator serviced, furnace checked - things like that.  

Honored Contributor

cked Re: Are you ready for winter?

[ Edited ]

Have stocked the sling near the fireplace with seasoned kindling and swept out the firebox, have a Costco-sized bag of driveway salt in the garage, and will replace rakes with shovels.   We're ready for the blowing and drifting in Wisconsin.

Honored Contributor

Yes ... all ready.  I changed my closets ... got out my gloves, scarves and winter hats.  Summer shoes are all away and my took out my winter footwear.  I do have one more poncho to finish ... maybe another week or so.

I live in an apt ... no repairs or maintenance.  Property management deals with that stuff.

Honored Contributor

NO!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

I am not psychologically ready for winter - lol.  

Dread it Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Were getting there. We've already have removed our boat, cleaned it and stored it away. Same with the jetski. Pulled out our dock, cleaned it, stored it away. Had the boat hoist removed, cleaned it and set it up away from the water. Jet ski hoist we were able to handle ourselves, moved and cleaned, put away. Our leaves haven't turned color yet, very late this year. But when the leaves are down its a huge chore to remove them daily so they don't ruin our lawn. Must cover or store away our patio furniture. We just went and got a brand new snowblower and will be ready when that first snow storm hits. So are we ready for winter? We're never ready. Woman Sad

"Pure Michigan"