Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you ever envious of others?

[ Edited ]

I think there is nothing wrong with envy in certain respects.

When I was younger, in my late teens, very early 20s I worked for a woman who mentored me probably without even knowing it. She knew what she wanted out of life. She was in the same field I was in and she was outstanding in it. I watched how she treated people. How she treated her clients, friends and business associates. She was fair but firm. She was respected and sincerely liked. She was not only supremely talented at her job but very talented in how she handled working with others. I have seen maybe a total of 4 people in my life that had it figured out like she did. 

She died a little over 5 yrs ago after a bout with cancer. I went to her funeral and over 1,000 people showed up. To this day I don't think I have ever heard an unkind word about her. She ran her business and life by being extremely fair, caring,  and generous but also didn't let herself to be taken advantage of. That is such a balance. I did envy and admire that. 

I envied that and it impressed me. I have tried my best to follow some of the wonderful examples she unknowingly set for me. She was surprised when I told her that how she lived her life was a guide of sorts for how to live mine. She actually cried when I had the chance to sit down and tell her how much she influenced me. She literally had no idea which surprised me.

I don't think I have envied someone in the sense I was jealous I didn't have something they did have, well maybe when I was younger but I have envied people on how they chose to live their lives. I am not sure how I would have done things if I hadn't had her as an example that was so directly related to the type of work I do. I had great parents who were great examples and I think having them as examples made me wiser to who I wanted to be as a person so then when I came upon her I was at least smart enough to take notes of this person who was a class act. If I didn't have the parents I did perhaps I wouldn't have recognized that.

I don't feel ashamed at all to say I envied her and tried to emulate her in certain respects. I would much rather young woman and men envy someone who is a regular person, not an athlete or a star necessarily, by how they want to treat people in a caring way and becoming successful while remaining competitive but by pulling people up and not down. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I'm human......sometimes I am!

Respected Contributor

When you are envious of others you are counting their blessings instead of yours.  

Valued Contributor

I suppose if I was going to envy someone now would be the time. I' visiting my brother and SIL and they're in the process of buying a 2 million dollar for cash and there are complications with the purchase. In a few days I'll be returning to my 1500 Sq ft builder grade home and happy to be there. We each made lifestyle choices and fortunately do not regret them or envy the others.
Trusted Contributor

I can honestly say no. 

Respected Contributor

Nope, not ever. I always think of that expression "the grass is aways greener on the other side." We all have issues of some sort and I am very content with my life right now. Be carefull of what you wish for.

Respected Contributor

Whenever I hear someone with a truly beautiful voice, I'll wish I could sing like that, I can barely carry a tune!  Sometimes I envy people who have those wonderful family ties, my parents are gone and while I have a brother and we're fairly close, it would be nice to have more family around.  I wish I had a sister, though I have a very good friend who is very much like a sister to me, so I am grateful for that. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, though I try to talk myself out of it because it wastes emotional energy.  Yes, some people have it "better" than me in some ways, but then I'm "better off" in some areas myself.  I'm really big on fairness & still struggle with the fact that Life just isn't always fair.

Respected Contributor

I honestly have never desired to be wealthy or to be in a position of great prominence. I like blending in. We are retired on a fixed budget like most retired people. We live comfortably, but I would not say we are wealthy. Our house and both cars are paid for, are children are healthy and doing great, and we are healthy. What more could we ask for?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I honestly have never desired to be wealthy or to be in a position of great prominence. I like blending in. We are retired on a fixed budget like most retired people. We live comfortably, but I would not say we are wealthy. Our house and both cars are paid for, are children are healthy and doing great, and we are healthy. What more could we ask for?

Frankly, I can't think of a single thing.  You are very, very lucky!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986