Honored Contributor

Re: Are you able to define "self-love"?

I agree with the other posters that you have to learn to accept yourself warts and all. It's also true that you can't really love someone else unless you love yourself first. There's big difference between loving the other person and needing them.

Respected Contributor

It is being confident within yourself. Believing in yourself with your own abilities, liking who you are and not needing or seeking validation or approval from others. It is being happy within your own skin, just being who you are and accepting the good with the bad. The opinion of others matters not, it is the opinion of your own self that does.

Self love is much different than ego. Ego always needs approval, has to be right and needs validation from others. It seeks people for approval and is not confident or comfortable without it.

Self love is able to freely love others while ego loves others within it's own conditions.

Ego is ever needy while self love moves comfortably on.

Honored Contributor

Sure I can.  But the moderators might have a problem with it...

Honored Contributor

I was taught when you look in the mirror and like who you see, then you're able to love yourself. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@GRACIE wrote:

Self- love in my definition is the following, not necessary in the order that's listed

1. Being comfortable in one's own skin
  2. Never trying to defend your personality
  3. Acceptance of yourself, the good, the bad and the ugly.
  4. Being alone, but not lonely, not needed someone or a crowd to justify your assistance.
  5. Being kind to others, generous in spirit.
  6. Speaking up when you see or hear injustice.

My Mother once told me  I was like a little elm tree that goes up against the mighty Oak tree.(I was in 7 or 8 at the time) I spoke my mind, but was generous to a fault.Both in spirit and in action. That personality is with me today at age 61 and 4 ft 10 inches(On my Driver License ft). I am happy being me, faults and all. Can I improve, yes, as long as I am breathing.(SMILE)  

@GRACIEI love this! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's different from person to person.  What about those that are not over weight but have self love. 

For me it means having self/personal pride in oneself.  Keeping hygiencially clean, not over eating and eating the nutritent dense food.  Dressing as if you care what message you send - like wearing age appropriate clothing for you height, weight, age.  Grooming yourself.  Caring for yourself. 

You rejpresent your household name and everyone in your family so behaving civily and morally and speaking well when spoken to is important.  Having the manners to engage others and have them engage you when conversiing.  Knowing how to accept a 'NO' graciously.  Lots of aspects to self love.    

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Embracing the Divine, and sharing that with others

Honored Contributor

"Self love" means you see yourself as VALUABLE and DESERVING. 

Honored Contributor

Each human gets only one body and it contains a brain. Most of my adult life, taking the best care of it as possible. If you don't love and take care of "you", pretty hard to do much for others. Treat your body and mind well and it will reciprocate.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The term "self-love" tends to make me gag.

But the concept is accepting yourself for who you are, being happy/comfortable in your own skin. So, you're not perfect and never will be - who is? 

If you LIKE yourself - the *internal* you, you will be a much happier person than if you're constantly trying to change or improve yourself for *others* rather than for you.

If you can say "I like me" or "I'm fine with me", that's all one should worry about - not be worrying about "what will others think!" all the time.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all