Honored Contributor

Re: Are there any Medical Professionals on this forum?

@GeorgiaJack wrote:
Worked for over 25 years as an RN in various departments. Missed out on life every other weekend and holidays. Relationships are too tough because 12 -14 hrs is exhausting. It's an extremely unhealthy profession when you don't get breaks, time to eat and push around people triple your weight because there's no help. You barely get a bathroom break. Never would do it again if I had a chance. The signs of wear and tear have caught up and at middle age I am not healthy.

Excellent post! You really nailed it. I was an RN for 40 years working in hospitals and it takes a toll on personal life and health.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Thank you everyone for your service.  Please know that we all appreciate your dedication and hard work helping your fellow human beings.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have worked my way through the health care field for many years. I have worked as an LPN, dental assistant, lab tech, and RN. I retired last year after working the last 20 years as a family nurse practitioner. I earned a doctoral degree, taught NP students, worked in an ER, a family practice, and a university health center. Although I do miss my job, I sleep much better now! I used to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about my patients. The responsibility for the health and welfare of other human beings is enormous.

Honored Contributor

I'm an ex RN, BSN who specialized in Pediatrics and general surgery nursing at the bedside. I stopped working to raise my family and briefly went back for 2.5 years when two of my children were toddlers on weekends at a large hospital. I wanted to stay in the field but the demands of family and the job itself were stressful. I decided to raise my family full time after that brief stint back.

I would probably choose nursing again but maybe in an office setting instead. The bedside nursing seen now is very hard on the staff due to staff shortages (less people caring for much more sicker patients than previously when I did work full time).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

I totally agree with georgiajack and retRN.   How they described it is right on the money! They picture they paint is accurate.  It was the hardest work I ever did but I would do it again.  I am a retired RN.

Frequent Contributor

I am a retired RN for about 5 years now.  I worked 30 years.  I retired because I have a disabled son who aged out of high school and needed 24/7 care.

I worked mainly in PICU in major hospitals throughout the country. I loved bedside nursing!  I did some management, wrote training manuals and policies and procedures with education, but my love was caring for the patient by bedside.  I felt I was born to be a nurse.  I love to serve and help others.  Now I am working with my son and that is just as rewarding, if not more.  I feel blessed to be able to quit a wonderful career and care for my son.

If I had to do it all over again I would.  I always said that you have to have a serving heart, a love for people and great common sense to be a nurse.  The nurse is the advocate for the patient and the safety net for the doctor.  She is so vital for the patient.  There will be a shortage of nurses again with the aging population.  It is hard to be a nurse and there is a lot of sacrifice, but for the right person it is very fulfilling to be able to help others in their time of need no matter the sacrifice.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry to see the majority of the nurses responding said they would not recommend or do this again.  This does not  bode well for nursing's future.  Nurses are such an important aspect of healthcare; physicians rely heavily on the care and good judgement of the nursing staff.  I would hope that those coming up would investigate changes that will create a work environment conducive to keeping nurses.

I would like like to see a return to more hospital trained schools of nursing.  In my opinion  floor nursing is more satisfying to hospital trained nurses.  I don't think the expectation for job satisfaction is as high 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

I have worked my way through the health care field for many years. I have worked as an LPN, dental assistant, lab tech, and RN. I retired last year after working the last 20 years as a family nurse practitioner. I earned a doctoral degree, taught NP students, worked in an ER, a family practice, and a university health center. Although I do miss my job, I sleep much better now! I used to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about my patients. The responsibility for the health and welfare of other human beings is enormous.

I loved my NP.  She was better than a M.D.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a pharmacist, board certified in toxicology.   Have been working in healthcare for >16 years, but have been out of school and registered pharmacist for almost 13 years. So glad that I have a job I love! Smiley Very Happy

ETA my mom was a critical care RN for 44 years at the same hospital, ,just retired. 

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

I am so sorry to see the majority of the nurses responding said they would not recommend or do this again.  This does not  bode well for nursing's future.  Nurses are such an important aspect of healthcare; physicians rely heavily on the care and good judgement of the nursing staff.  I would hope that those coming up would investigate changes that will create a work environment conducive to keeping nurses.

I would like like to see a return to more hospital trained schools of nursing.  In my opinion  floor nursing is more satisfying to hospital trained nurses.  I don't think the expectation for job satisfaction is as high 

@gmkb wrote:

I am a hospital trained nurse and ,no doubt, nursing schools produce a much better nurse with much more practical experience than a BSN program. Hospital trained nurses have clinical experience every day ,all or part of the day and actually have charge nurse experience on the off shifts before they graduate.Because I worked at a university hospital I worked with a lot of students and grads from the program there and the majority certainly wanted NOTHING to do with bedside patient care. They were just looking to use a BSN as a step toward something else.