Honored Contributor

Re: Are any California posters near either of the two big fires?

I live in the SCV and the Sand Fire is nearby. I'm not in the evacuation zone and don't expect any problems, but I worry for those who are and for the firefighters and pilots.  I have seen this many, many times in my 15 years here and I'm always amazed at the heroics of the firefighters.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

As of an hour ago, Soberanes is 20,000 acres and only 10% contained.  Hopefully they'll be able to air-drop today.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I was born and raised in Southern California.  There have been many fires but I was always amazed at people who would built in the canyons and hills and then be surprised when they burned.  The big fire in San Diego a few years ago is a good example.  Then there is the canyons around Malibu which burn every few years.  I used to hate to go outside to the yellow air and ash all over our cars.  

Honored Contributor

No, I'm far away from that but my heart goes out to all of you who are in the area.Heart   Prayers for all of you, for all the emergency responders, and for the fires to be extinguished soon and safely.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It just seems like every year this is getting worse for CA.  Smiley Sad   Breaks my heart, as a California girl (born and raised)' even though I am CA-adjacent now. 

Positive thoughts going out to all the human animals and all others.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

As of an hour ago, Soberanes is 20,000 acres and only 10% contained.  Hopefully they'll be able to air-drop today.

I have heard some planes flying overhead today....I assume they're fire related, since normally, my house isn't on any flight routes.

I was out and about this morning, and there is a thick blanket of smoke everywhere, even in an area that was clear yesterday.  It seemed that 1 out of every 3 vehicles on Highway One was fire-related.  I was reading the names on the sides of the trucks to see where they came from, and they were from all over the state.  There were also some that were from correctional facilities. 

I sure hope all this manpower is making a difference.  There should be an update of the day at around 5 pm.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was born and raised in Southern California.  There have been many fires but I was always amazed at people who would built in the canyons and hills and then be surprised when they burned.  The big fire in San Diego a few years ago is a good example.  Then there is the canyons around Malibu which burn every few years.  I used to hate to go outside to the yellow air and ash all over our cars.  

Seriously?

Most if not all of the fires are started by people. If it weren't for people who disregarded safety there would be far fewer wildfires.

I grew up and still live in San Diego County. I got caught up in the Cocos fire two years ago. It was started by an idiot 13 year old girl arsonist during a time when the winds were gusting 50+mph. And the Poinsettia fire which was right by the coast started on a golf course. Although the cause was never found it is suspected it was started by the club's lawnmower that may have struck a rock and set off sparks.

People who live in canyons and hills arent surprised by the fires. They're surprised by the stupidity of their fellow man.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

The Garlic Festival is this weekend. Between the heat and smoke in the air people should be prepared, for traffic as well.

My heart breaks for those in the path of the fire and those fighting it!,  what a massive undertaking fighting these big fires are!

Honored Contributor

I just spoke to my insurance agent about something unrelated.

Anyway, she shared the news that two of her clients who live in Palo Colorado Canyon have lost their homes....and everything they own.Smiley Sad

I'm going to refrain from complaining about the smoke now.  

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Seriously?

Most if not all of the fires are started by people. If it weren't for people who disregarded safety there would be far fewer wildfires.

I grew up and still live in San Diego County. I got caught up in the Cocos fire two years ago. It was started by an idiot 13 year old girl arsonist during a time when the winds were gusting 50+mph. And the Poinsettia fire which was right by the coast started on a golf course. Although the cause was never found it is suspected it was started by the club's lawnmower that may have struck a rock and set off sparks.

People who live in canyons and hills arent surprised by the fires. They're surprised by the stupidity of their fellow man.

How terrible! I hope they put her into a psych ward and threw away the key.