Honored Contributor

Re: Are any California posters near either of the two big fires?

@shoekitty wrote:

The Sobranes Fire is maybe 55 miles, but the smoke has been in the air for days.  Today it just hung low.  The sky was dirty white with a coral cast, and the smell of smoke hung in the air.  I heard today it hit about 20,000 acres and burned 20 homes.  Sad and tragic!!!!

Yes..at least 20 homes, maybe more, since many of them are small houses that people use as second homes. 

as as for the smoke...at least it has cooled off and we can keep our windows closed to block out the smoke.  It is supposed to get warm again, starting tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

The Sobranes Fire is maybe 55 miles, but the smoke has been in the air for days.  Today it just hung low.  The sky was dirty white with a coral cast, and the smell of smoke hung in the air.  I heard today it hit about 20,000 acres and burned 20 homes.  Sad and tragic!!!!

Yes..at least 20 homes, maybe more, since many of them are small houses that people use as second homes. 

as as for the smoke...at least it has cooled off and we can keep our windows closed to block out the smoke.  It is supposed to get warm again, starting tomorrow. Eps? 

@september

you can tell you are a fellow californian when you say, "it is going to be warm tomorrow"!    W arm lately is about 90"" lol. Hot is around 100, hahahhaa.  When you said it cooled off, you must have meant today's 84 temps

Trusted Contributor

I'm in Porter Ranch and we see and smell the smoke. 

Honored Contributor

We are 28-30 mi. from the Soberanes fire. Sitting outside just a few minutes ago we smelled smoke. Very, very foggy and damp at our house.

It's starting to affect tourism and they are issuing air quality warnings in the Monterey Bay area. A family member hiked frequently near the area of first burn - her hiking area was gone the first day. General concensus from locals (not necessarily from CalFire) is that it was careless tourists.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I live south Sand Canyon Fire.  Ashes are everywhere.  It's awful and the fire is large and scary. 

I grew up and lived most of my life in So Cal. I was devastated at the danger Wildlife Waystation was in, and thrilled to tears when they were saved thsnks to fire crews.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

We're staying at a hotel in the Carmel Highlands right now and have been told that we should be prepared for possible evacuation during the night. (We are leaving tomorrow anyway so we hope it will not be necessary.)

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

We're staying at a hotel in the Carmel Highlands right now and have been told that we should be prepared for possible evacuation during the night. (We are leaving tomorrow anyway so we hope it will not be necessary.)

Sorry this happened to you, while on vacation!

Honored Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I'm in Porter Ranch and we see and smell the smoke. 

That's what I'm experiencing with the Soberanes Fire.  Also, this morning when I went out to pick up the paper, there were ashes all over everything.

Honored Contributor

I'm in SoCal, not far from the Sand Fire up near Santa Clarita.     The update this morning (Tuesday) is that more than 37,000 acres have burned and the fire is about 25% contained.  20 homes have been lost, including a couple owned by firefighters.

Yesterday morning a press conference was held giving an update, and explaining the challenges they were experiencing.

First, people weren't evacuating when they were told to ... somehow thinking they actually had more time.  This was hindering getting trucks and equipment situated in different areas, as the fire shifted.  (Why don't people follow instructions?)

Another problem was the planes carrying water ... they can drop 20,000 gallons at a time.  Unfortunately, idiots were flying drones and endangering the planes and pilots, as well as homes and people on the ground!   (Drones?   Really?)

Yet another problem was people trying to get back in to evacuated areas before they were cleared to do so.  There's been situations where police were nearly run over by people wanting to get back into those areas, with no regard for anyone's safety!

I find this very disturbing .... these firemen are fighting in 95+ degree weather with all the heat from the fire as well, in those heavy protective outfits .... my gosh, don't make their work any harder than it already is!

Yesterday I was driving north on the 170 freeway, with Santa Clarita in the distance.   The huge smoke cloud hung in the air .... very sad .... and very eerie.  All the firefighters need our prayers and support.     

Honored Contributor

MaxsMom wrote:

I live in Northern Nevada, we are getting smoke from the fires in Ca  Smiley Sad

I'm also in Northern Nevada, so we're feeling the smoke - well, at least I am because of my upper respiratory conditions.   Fortunately, I can stay in my house most of the time.  But every time I open the door to let the dog out I cough up a lung.  

Anyway, I just hope people are able to be safe and that they get these things in control soon.