Honored Contributor

Are any California posters near either of the two big fires?

One of them is near to me.  Many nearby evacuations, and the smoke is very heavy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are any California posters near either of the two big fires?

Stay safe, September! Don't hesitate to evacuate if they tell you to.

Your life is more important than things.

Things can be replaced, you can't.

Honored Contributor

Vaguely near, but not at all evacuation-near, the Soberanes/Big Sur fire. It's horrible. Today the weather meant NO water/fire retardant drops all day. The smell of smoke is in the air 10-15 miles away, the smoke and air quality bad in areas adjoining.

I have a family member who works in Carmel Valley and they had a false alarm evacuation warning this morning. On the weekend they took pizza to the helicopter pilots/crews.

They are evacuating Carmel Highlands - full of multi-million dollar homes. Very scary. If the wind decides to blow in a different direction, vineyards could go.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

I live in Northern Nevada, we are getting smoke from the fires in Ca  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I live south Sand Canyon Fire.  Ashes are everywhere.  It's awful and the fire is large and scary. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

A few neighborhoods in Carmel Highlands are being evacuated...it's very spread out.  My good friend who lives there is okay for now, but she posted a photo on Facebook this morning, of all the Cal Fire trucks, lined up on Highway 1.  Very scary, but at least we know they're taking this fire very seriously.  

They say an area the size of Manhattan, has already been burned up.  20 homes destroyed (surprising given the remote area where this originated)...thousands more at risk if it spreads to more populated areas. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

One of them is near to me.  Many nearby evacuations, and the smoke is very heavy. 

@september My heart goes out to you and everyone in this serious situation.

My thoughts and prayers are here for you. Be safe

Respected Contributor

Fortunately (Knock on wood), the fires are very north of me as I am in Orange County.

The fires near Hwy. l (through Big Sur and up to Carmel) are in one of the most beautiful areas in California. 

I feel terrible for all the people  that have to evacuate.

Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@september wrote:

@september My heart goes out to you and everyone in this serious situation.

My thoughts and prayers are here for you. Be safe

Thanks.  Have already made arrangements for my friend and her husband to come here if they have to evacuate.  They're about 4 miles closer to the fire, than us.  They have their important things packed and ready to go.

Honored Contributor

The Sobranes Fire is maybe 55 miles, but the smoke has been in the air for days.  Today it just hung low.  The sky was dirty white with a coral cast, and the smell of smoke hung in the air.  I heard today it hit about 20,000 acres and burned 20 homes.  Sad and tragic!!!!