Honored Contributor

Re: Are You a MINDFUL Person?

@Stormygirl wrote:

@HappyDaze I think humans are or were born with natural curiosity. (like cats, dogs other mammals) and in that curious nature we have discovered so much......much to our own detriment sometimes though. With the media, internet, celebrity, special groups much of that innate curiosity has been taken over by "herd mentality" Anyone who dares think on their own is oftentimes critisized, publically thrashed among other things meant to silence them. Good example was the Md who discovered the cause of 80% of stomach ulcers and was basically laughed out of the medical community for years. Well was discovered he was correct but Big Pharma didnt want to lose their huge profits made by chronic ulcers. Now you get my drift? Yea I am a natural "Curious George" and tend to say Pears when I see all others are saying "Apples" LOLOL

Excellent post, especially the part about "...much to our own detriment sometimes" - so very true!

Regarding those that think on their own instead of being part of herd mentality,  I often think of people like Nikola Tesla and how he was laughed at, shunned and even considered to be a lunatic/mad scientist yet now we realize how brilliant and ahead of his time (and, honestly, even ahead of ours!!) he was!  If only we would have incorporated much of his ideas back then, we might not have some of the mess on our hands like we do now. But new and different ideas often scare those who don't understand them or are afraid of change and, in his case, $$$, marketing and "popularity" are more important than sane, forward thinking, long-term, sound ideas and solutions.

Trusted Contributor

Of course, we can't be sure how true these are but I fit the picture pretty well other than #3!  I have had to learn over the years that so many of life's problems and experiences do come and go!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Looks like I just could be :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

The art of mindfulness is not "junk" science.  It is used today as a therapeutic technique and develops from meditation and training.

Buddhists have long used "mindfulness" and the 1970's in the West saw an uptick in developing programs/seminars/etc. in mindfulness.

The OP listed some basic tenets of mindfulness;  I would list some noted professionals in this area but I have a feeling that the negative nellies wouldn't care.

For those who do, start with Jon-Kabat Zinn. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

I am pretty good about doing 12-13 of these on a daily basis so I will try to work on the other 2-2, while strengthening the others.

I don't "practice" being curious though, I am just naturally curious. I thought the word "practice" was a bit odd. It seems like you are either a naturally curious person or not and that trying to force yourself to be curious wouldn't work. But maybe it does? Anyone who isn't naturally curious, can you speak on this? Love to hear thoughts about that.

@HappyDaze

Me too!  I am naturally curious, and LOVE it when something new to me comes along, if it doesn't, I go looking for it.  I guess one could encourage themselves to be more curious, but practice does seem to be an odd choice of words.

@I looked up this list and printed it.  I'm going to be traveling for @ 3 weeks and I'm going to give it some mindful thought!

@lolakimono thanks for the idea.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

When I read the headline, I though, no, I am not mindful 

When I read the numbered chart, most of that describes me to a t.  I need to work more on # 10 though.

Somehow I don't understand what the information in the chart has to do with being mindful.

Heading off to look at a dictionary. ...........

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

The art of mindfulness is not "junk" science.  It is used today as a therapeutic technique and develops from meditation and training.

Buddhists have long used "mindfulness" and the 1970's in the West saw an uptick in developing programs/seminars/etc. in mindfulness.

The OP listed some basic tenets of mindfulness;  I would list some noted professionals in this area but I have a feeling that the negative nellies wouldn't care.

For those who do, start with Jon-Kabat Zinn. 

I have indeed seen mindfulness mentioned as connected to meditation.

I find much to admire in Buddhism. I have never meditated (would love to take free/low cost classes, Buddhist organizations and others sometimes offer them).

Much of the thoughts and actions in the OP are things that  people who are comfortable having a rich internal discussion with themselves and who enjoy their own company do all the time, without consciously thinking about doing them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When I read the headline, I though, no, I am not mindful 

When I read the numbered chart, most of that describes me to a t.  I need to work more on # 10 though.

Somehow I don't understand what the information in the chart has to do with being mindful.

Heading off to look at a dictionary. ...........

I take it as being interested in, aware of and willing to be involved in the world around you, NOT centered only in the Self, and acknowledging the worth and wisdom of people and things that may be outside your personal sphere of knowledge.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Yes, I try to be.  I volunteer with a mental health group - beind mindful is an exercise we do.

Personally, I need to work on #2.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Yes, I try to be.  I volunteer with a mental health group - beind mindful is an exercise we do.

Personally, I need to work on #2.  Smiley Happy

@bri20  Kudos for your volunteer work.

Mindfulness programs are used in prisons, schools,  stress management programs,  in training for doctors/nurse/health professionals, and with people dealing with illnesses such as cancer, MS, etc. and pain management.  Just some examples.

And it isn't just being "meditative", either.  Washing the dishes can be a mindful experience.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh