Respected Contributor

Re: Are You Ever Overly Sensitive To Poster Replies

I used to take nasty things quite personally.

I don't anymore.  I have realized some people post JUST TO BE MEAN.  Doesn't matter what the subject.

The other thing is that I don't even come on this board very much.  I don't like the babysitter rules, as I am an adult.  Their board - their rules.

I would seldom now post on anything asking for an opinion.  You're always WRONG to someone!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Respected Contributor

I really like sensitive people.  Why, I am one myself!  I try my best to just keep quiet on controversial issues, unless my conscience  pressures me to state my convictions.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

I have been in the past.  I now try to avoid those posters who I have allowed to bother me, and this seems to be a workable solution.

Honored Contributor

No, I'm really not.

I know that sometimes it's easy to misconstrue somebody.  If it's somebody who is usually not a hurler of insults I would just ask them to make sure the meaning.

If it's one of the very few (thankfully!) posters who are ALWAYS mega-negative and never ever have anything nice to say about anything or anybody, I can very easily ignore those.  

I just feel bad for people like that who are always so full of hatefulness and wonder how awful it must be to be them.   It must be ten times more awful to have to live with somebody like that!   Despite how they may mention a spouse I really think people like that probably live alone.  Nothing wrong with alone!!   But some people are alone because they act so awfully toward others.

Moral of the story - don't let anything or anybody drag you down!  For the most part, posts that are incredibly rude and insulting are about THAT person, not you.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Just try to remember that everyone is not going to agree with you all the time and when they post something to you it is not personal as the people don't know you. They just see things differently or have a different opinion than you do regarding what you have posted. Just read the comments and concentrate on the ones you do like and ignore the ones you don't. It might be different if they knew you personally but they don't. It is just a matter of each individual having an opinion.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I'm sensitive, and sometimes (rarely) replies to my posts bother me.  If I respond to that person at all, I make sure I don't do it argumentively.

@NickNack, You are always kind in everyone of your posts that I have seen!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Overly sensitive? Not often. But one has to be aware that there are those on the forum whose sole purpose is to get your goat and make it appear, or claim that others are overly sensitive or "can't take" opposing POV.

Alternatively, frequent forum participants quickly become aware of the "overly sensitive" poster when this is manifested by routine, invariable snippy, snoddy, fuss-budgety insulting personal comments towards anyone who doesn't agree with them or back them up.

These posters are actually MORE likely to be sure their comments are personal and personally belittling, while whining about how poor, poor lil' ol' them is always picked on and attacked - when THEY are the ones who take things in a "personal" direction. My personal opinion is that these are not overly sensitive people, but narcissistic, passive-aggressive people.

And just to be clear, I'm not referring to the OP :-)

And then we get into every individual's personal definition of mean, rude, insulting, nasty, etc.

All anyone can do is try to steer their best course.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

No, I'm really not.

I know that sometimes it's easy to misconstrue somebody.  If it's somebody who is usually not a hurler of insults I would just ask them to make sure the meaning.

If it's one of the very few (thankfully!) posters who are ALWAYS mega-negative and never ever have anything nice to say about anything or anybody, I can very easily ignore those.  

I just feel bad for people like that who are always so full of hatefulness and wonder how awful it must be to be them.   It must be ten times more awful to have to live with somebody like that!   Despite how they may mention a spouse I really think people like that probably live alone.  Nothing wrong with alone!!   But some people are alone because they act so awfully toward others.

Moral of the story - don't let anything or anybody drag you down!  For the most part, posts that are incredibly rude and insulting are about THAT person, not you.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt, Mega-negative is a terrific term.  Hope you don't mind if we borrow it?  Good post.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, ECBG!  You're welcome to it.  I just made it up at that very moment because that's how it came to mind as I was thinking about this subject.  Smiley Happy