Honored Contributor

Re: Apple, the FBI and unlocking a customer's phone

@Melania wrote:

If one has nothing to hide then why object when it is for your/our protection??

It really is that simple.

Totally agree. 

I think the Pro-Apple eaters are thinking their banking info will be hacked??  I dunno....

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thanks for posting the ars link...I went back and found it as message #163...the numbering of the messages here is a subject for another thread LOL!...and remembered reading it (I ain't getting any younger!).

Toward the end of the article, it said this:  "It would be one thing for the court to order Apple to brute force this one device and turn over the data stored on it."

I thought this wasn't possible...?   If it's possible, what's the problem...just have the Judge re-write the order to "brute force the one device and turn over the data...."  If it's not possible, why say that in the article?

Altho...I can hear my LE friend going on about "chain of evidence!"   SIGH!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

@dooBdoo

Thanks for posting the ars link...I went back and found it as message #163...the numbering of the messages here is a subject for another thread LOL!...and remembered reading it (I ain't getting any younger!).

Toward the end of the article, it said this:  "It would be one thing for the court to order Apple to brute force this one device and turn over the data stored on it."

I thought this wasn't possible...?   If it's possible, what's the problem...just have the Judge re-write the order to "brute force the one device and turn over the data...."  If it's not possible, why say that in the article?

Altho...I can hear my LE friend going on about "chain of evidence!"   SIGH!

I love your posts, @MacDUFF!  You have a great sense of humor!Smiley   Honestly, I wish I knew the answer to the questions you pose.   I don't.   There's a lot in the details I still don't know or understand (I have a feeling that will be the case even after a decision is made).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I am wondering how many more Americans will die due to to terrorism before we snap out of it?

How would you feel if it were one of your family members who'd lost their lives in this situation?

If Apple can assist it should. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Lucky charm wrote:

Melania wrote:

If one has nothing to hide then why object when it is for your/our protection??

It really is that simple.

Totally agree. 

I think the Pro-Apple eaters are thinking their banking info will be hacked??  I dunno....

I couldn't resist!   An Apple a day won't keep all our safeguards healthy...   Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I am wondering how many more Americans will die due to to terrorism before we snap out of it?

How would you feel if it were one of your family members who'd lost their lives in this situation?

If Apple can assist it should. 

@Jacie - How would I feel?  The same as I would feel if my family were killed in any other situation.  Dead is dead, is it more dead or worse dead if the killer was a terrorist?

The saddest thing in this, IMHO, is that in all likelihood there nothing on this phone.  They destroyed their personal phones and other equipment, not likely they just "forgot" to destroy this phone.  That makes me think that this isn't just a fishing expedition regarding this phone, it's a whole lot bigger and more intrusive and it's using the fear trigger "terrorist" to get the backing on this that they wouldn't get if they were trying to get the data off a phone owned by one of the Bundys.

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

California took a major hit losing 14 lives.  While some of you take that lightly, Californians DO NOT and they are not going to sit idly by.  They will force Apple to comply with the FBI.  So sorry that offends some of you! 

Ya know, this kind of thing really bugs the daylights out of me.  One of our local boys was KILLED in the mass killing in Aurora.  He's JUST AS DEAD as your 14 who were killed.  The parents of all those children killed in Newtown have been pleading endlessly for steps to be taken to stop that sort of mass killing from happening again.  How far has any of that gotten?

Throw out that word terrorist and suddenly it's a whole different story eh and the rest of us don't understand?  Really?  Sorry, but your post really disgusts me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@truffle wrote:

California took a major hit losing 14 lives.  While some of you take that lightly, Californians DO NOT and they are not going to sit idly by.  They will force Apple to comply with the FBI.  So sorry that offends some of you! 

Ya know, this kind of thing really bugs the daylights out of me.  One of our local boys was KILLED in the mass killing in Aurora.  He's JUST AS DEAD as your 14 who were killed.  The parents of all those children killed in Newtown have been pleading endlessly for steps to be taken to stop that sort of mass killing from happening again.  How far has any of that gotten?

Throw out that word terrorist and suddenly it's a whole different story eh and the rest of us don't understand?  Really?  Sorry, but your post really disgusts me.

wow, that;'s harsh. Dead may be dead, but there certainly is a diiference in dying peacefully in your bed and having a terrorist behead you or burn you alive. There is a huge difference in how terrorists disrespect life and their constantly on the move to recruit others.  if our country can find even a speck of something useful in obtaining how these creeps operate, then no company should use some privacy issues to fight againt it. IMO.

ETA:  I know this is not how anyone died in Aurora as you stated in your post. I'm just making a statement as it pertains to your words of JUST AS DEAD. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

@La vida loco wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@truffle wrote:

wow, that;'s harsh. Dead may be dead, but there certainly is a diiference in dying peacefully in your bed and having a terrorist behead you or burn you alive. There is a huge difference in how terrorists disrespect life and their constantly on the move to recruit others.  if our country can find even a speck of something useful in obtaining how these creeps operate, then no company should use some privacy issues to fight againt it. IMO.

How is it harsh?  Do you think anyone in this country who has been killed, especially in mass killings in schools and movie theaters were less terrorized than the people killed by terrorists?  I'm not the one that's harsh, I'm realistic.  How can some of you justify taking extraordinary steps because it's a terrorist, yet turn your back on the problem of mass murder in this country that is more likely to touch any one of our lives than being killed by a terrorist?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Is there anyone here but me, that seriously questions, in light of this and other technological issues today, just how valuable some of this technology and they way we use it, really are?

Yes, I love technology that saves lives, makes life more comfortable etc., but honestly, the way that even those of us who choose not to have all this stuff in our personal lives are being violated, how do those of you who "have and use it all, for everything you do" deal with knowing it is all so easily accessed/stolen/hacked?

I know none of us are immune, because even if we don't have a PC, our records from doctors, government etc. are out there somewhere, but I do wonder if 'we' make it worse by all we do on these personal devices?

Any thoughts about whether or not it is all worth it?

@Mominohio

You're not alone.  For me, in the long run, I do not think it will have been worth it.  I mentioned upthread how my Father always cautioned that we would be sorry some day for letting all this technology run ahead of us. 

I used to feel silly that I never bought anything online, that in all these years I've only registered on two sites (Q being one), that I err on the side of extreme caution when it comes to my personal info (that I still use a flip phone LOL).  I don't feel so silly now.

I agree with your post and find it all rather sad and exhausting.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~