Honored Contributor

Re: Apple, the FBI and unlocking a customer's phone

@truffle wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@truffle - The very sad truth is if the government and law enforcement and politicians want the American people to jump in blindly in support of something all they have to do is include the word terrorist.  Bingo.

Fact is that the American people are more in danger of being killed or injured in a non-terrorist related criminal act.  Fact is that people are already much more at risk of identity theft by common criminals, and forcing this action to build in a backdoor will make every single American even more vulnerable to criminal theft of personal data as well as the possibility of those very terrorists to hijack your cellphone identity!

We're talking about a crime that has already been committed and the FBI's investigation into that crime.  Apple should cooperate and I hope they suffer dire consequences by refusing.  I will boycott them as will millions of other people around the world.  

You hope they suffer "dire consequences"???  Wow.  I'm not knowledgable enough yet to offer a detailed opinion on all this.  I need to do some more reading, but I know it won't include hoping that a company, who had nothing to do with the terrorist attack and it's just random that someone involved owned one of their phones, but I think the "dire consequences" hope is more than a little harsh. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I didn't realize that an Apple phone couldn't be *hacked*.  Kudos to Apple.  ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So this isn't like when they look into people's telephone logs/contacts/text mesages....the FBI doesn't want this info?

Then what is the FBI asking for??

So no one's ever been found guilty of a crime (e.g. child prnography) that happened to use an Apple phone that needed to be examined?

This is the first time an Apple phone user needs to be *looked at*?

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo

@ChynnaBlue

And anyone else who might know...

Has the technology to unlock and access information been developed or not?

If the tech is available, why couldn't Apple get the info the FBI seeks and give it to them...just the info, not the technology or "key" to unlocking everyone's phone?

Just trying to understand the issue...This is above my pay grade as evidenced by my questions LOL.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@truffle - The very sad truth is if the government and law enforcement and politicians want the American people to jump in blindly in support of something all they have to do is include the word terrorist.  Bingo.

Fact is that the American people are more in danger of being killed or injured in a non-terrorist related criminal act.  Fact is that people are already much more at risk of identity theft by common criminals, and forcing this action to build in a backdoor will make every single American even more vulnerable to criminal theft of personal data as well as the possibility of those very terrorists to hijack your cellphone identity!

We're talking about a crime that has already been committed and the FBI's investigation into that crime.  Apple should cooperate and I hope they suffer dire consequences by refusing.  I will boycott them as will millions of other people around the world.  

A boycott by millions? Really? The only thing that will get people to stop buying Apple is if a competitor comes out with products that are more innovative than what Apple sells. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF - No, the technology is not there.  Apple has made a point of ensuring that the data contained in an iPhone is even secure from Apple itself.  The only one with access to the iPhone data on any individual phone is the iPhone user or anyone they give the passkey to.

Honored Contributor

Whoever said the pass key has to be long and complicated - no. I have had the same code for about 6-7 years and it is  4 digits/characters and no capital letters or special characters are involved.  I recently purchased a new phone and have never been asked/forced to create a new complicated pass key. Whether I *should* is a separate issue; Apple isn't forcing me to.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana

@dooBdoo

@ChynnaBlue

Okay...so the tech can be developed, but not for just one phone...it would have to be for all Apple iPhones?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

So *evidence* has never been needed (court ordered) from an Apple phone user before?

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana

@dooBdoo

@ChynnaBlue

Okay...so the tech can be developed, but not for just one phone...it would have to be for all Apple iPhones?

That's where you run into problems.  If they create the technology and force it onto that specific phone, the problem arises in that the capability then will have been documented to exist.  Nobody can deny, once done, our government would call on it again and again.  Add to that, that once done, other governments could and would also make such demands.  As controlling and demanding as the Chinese government is, it would be no surprise that it would be demanded that software be on any/all phones sold in that country or they would not be allowed to be sold.