Honored Contributor

Anyone written a QVC tell all?

[ Edited ]

I have always been interested in reading about the behind-the-scenes of different companies (Apple, Coca-Cola, etc.) to find out how they are run and what it is really like to work for them. I know you can visit QVC for a tour, but has anyone ever written a book about the company? For instance, has a vendor or perhaps one of the models or hosts ever written a book about what it is like to be a part of a large organization and what happens that most people don't know. There was one QVC program where they took the cameras back stage. You could see the IT Costmetics models relaxing and Jamie running around barefooted right before she goes on. I thought it was fun to see what they do when not on camera.

If one of the hosts was allowed to write a book, I bet it would tell how challenging it is to keep the conversation going, checking the clock to ensure they don't go over the allotted time, talking to a caller while also having the producer whisper in your ear that there are "only 500 more of these left", etc. Bet there's a lot more to it than just smiling and trying to look interested! ha!

Think it would also be nice to know HOW they decide which products to bring to the Q, how many to stock, how they decide price point, TSV's, etc. And maybe what the salary is for the models and hosts. I imagine they sign nondisclosure contracts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone written a QVC tell all?

I agree that this would all be very interesting, and l would want to be the first to read it. l agree that, unfortunately, all employees and ex-employees-- especially show hosts-- have written agreements not to disclose any of the behind-the-scenes "secrets."

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

Kathy Levine wrote two books which include some behind-the-scenes info about QVC

Trusted Contributor

I think you might enjoy the book Sellevision - While it is techinically a novel (I am sure for legal reasons) I beleive you will be able to see some similarities to people you have come to know through home shopping. You can get the Kindle version for only $4.99. Check it out.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Oh, I will look into that. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

you may also want to check out the book SHOPLANDIA.

i believe that steve bryant is in the process of writing a book about his experiences at qvc. he often posts about them on his facebook page.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I should clarify that Sellevision is more about the personal dynamics behind the scenes than it is about the business side. It is not going to tell you how/where they buy/source things, salaries, director’s notes, etc. It is not a business book, it is a fast juicy read. It may not meet your needs after all.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I should clarify that Sellevision is more about the personal dynamics behind the scenes than it is about the business side. It is not going to tell you how/where they buy/source things, salaries, director’s notes, etc. It is not a business book, it is a fast juicy read. It may not meet your needs after all.

I saw it on Amazon - it looks entertaining.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

He is sounds so miserable the things he says about his past job, Iimagine it will be scathing.

Frequent Contributor

re: Steve Bryan - yee gads, I just found & read his blog (search google for it).  A real eye opener, altho some of the things he's written, I've felt the same way.  Uncanny.