Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember the book Coffee, Tea, or Me?

Remember the airline ads "I'm tansy. Fly me"?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is that the paperback book that had borderline naughty cartoons in it?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I remember reading that book and back then being a stewardess looked like such a glamorous job. I took my first flight in 1970 and flying was so different compared to today.  No security issues and people got dressed up to get on a plane ( I wore a dress and high heels)!

Also love the show Pan Am and was so disappointed when it was cancelled.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I read this when I was younger. I always wanted to be a glamorous flight attendant! There was just one tiny problem - I didn't like to fly! Smiley LOL

Anyway, my friends and I all read this and talked about it. A few years ago I was a devoted fan of the TV show Pan Am, and I was really disappointed when it was cancelled. Smiley Mad When we were in Key West last summer we visited the old Pan Am headquarters, which is now a restaurant owned by Kelly McGillis (Top Gun, Witness). There are a lot of museum-type Pan Am artifacts there. I love history, so one of the servers told us what each part of the restaurant originally was!

Now there's a new scandalous book out, Cabin Fever: The Sizzling Secrets of a Virgin Airlines Flight Attendant. This one will be fun to read! Has anyone read it? 

Tell us how her restaurant was. did you get to see her?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this book had suggestive cartoons in it, then I can't say I read it, but I did take it to a Catholic grade school when I was in third grade to show my friends.  We were little kids and must have giggled too much - I can't recall how I got busted by the nuns, but this book landed me in the principal's office.  Usually, when I landed up in the principal's office, my Ma got the call and had to come to school.  This time, she made my Dad come to school.  Man did I cry a river.  He never hit me - all he said was that he was disappointed in me and that did it.

Edited to Add - he was mortified by my actions so when he said he was disappointed, he managed to curl his lip as though he just smelled decomp.

I laugh about it now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I just cannot imagine the stresses of being a flight attendant now-a-days, compared with what it was like in the 70's and 80's.  Their workload is probably ten times worse, stress-wise.  (Highly outspoken passengers, and everyone/everything else, not to mention other problems.)  And, then, too, the passengers themselves are stressed in so many ways, even before they board the plane.  Everyone in a huge hurry to 'get somewhere' (go somewhere). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

mtc - The restaurant is called Kelly's.

lovescats - The food was great! We were there for a late lunch, and there were a few other people, but not too many. That gave the staff member time to tell us about the history, and show us original parts of the building that hadn't been changed. We could also look in the cases without blocking anyone eating at the tables by them! I remember DH had a gazpacho that was amazing, and I had a shrimp salad that was really good too. Smiley Happy

I was a swimmer in school. One of the older girls who taught us and coached us went on to be a flight attendant after two years of college. It was a big deal for all of us! She was really pretty and sweet, and we all saw her picture in the paper with her uniform on. Later on in life, I met one of DD's classmate's moms, who was STILL working as a flight attendant in her late 40's!