Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have experience with C.U.P.S. in their pet?

My 12+ year old husky mix dog was recently diagnosed with Chronic Ulcerative Pardental Stomatitis, or C.U.P.S. Basically, her immune system has started to attack the plaque on her teeth. This will not go away without treatment. She is getting reoccuring mouth sores which cause her pain. She eats slowly and yelps in pain if she tries to yawn.

So far, we have treated her with prednisone and pain pills. But this is not a solution. The specialized Vet we went to gave me only one realistic option and that is to pull all her teeth, from the canines and back. She would still have her front teeth. They claim that dogs do well without teeth and even still eat hard food. If I want to save her teeth, I would have to brush her teeth twice a day, use the mouth wash in her water, and still get her teeth cleaned by the Vet often. But doing all this is rarely successful they said.

This condition is more common in cats. I don't know why or how she got this. But I am really having a hard time with the decision to pull most of her teeth. I don't want her to suffer, but I feel bad taking out her teeth.

There are no holistic vets in my area, and I don't know if they would have a solution either. Has anyone had any experience with this in their dog or cat?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead