Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone doing the Konmari method of decluttering & tidying?

[ Edited ]
It's a popular book. I'm on the library's ebook waitlist. When I downsized from a house almost twice the size of this home, I did only bring furniture and items that made me happy.

Stupid auto-correct wanted me to say I was on the library's Ebola wait list. 😏
Honored Contributor

I didn't read the book, however I've seen enough excerpts and descriptions of it today (it was recommended by another poster) for me to take a crack at it this afternoon.

I completed what I considered an unsentimental purge of clothing last month.  Using the 'does is spark joy' mindset - I went at it again this afternoon and discarded/donated another 10 items.

I really went to town on my jewelry and donated a slew of sterling silver pieces to the Salvation Army this afternoon. 

The jewelry seemed easier to me.  Not that I have an armoire full or anything, I still embarassed myself a couple of times by saying - wow, forgot I had that.

I tend to wear the same jewerly over and over again.  I might take another run at the jewelry in a month or so.

I will try to wear different pieces more.  The jewelry sparks joy when I look at it - I just don't wear it often enough.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I consider decluttering/purging/organizing a continuous thing. I'll consider myself done, let it rest for awhile and then go through everything again to see if anything jumps out at me that needs to go.

Example: we have a cheese/potato shredder thing. You know- the tall rectangular metal thing with the handle on top with the rough sides. I opened a kitchen cabinet last week that I considered "done". There really isn't much in the cabinet- lots of empty space. I opened the cabinet and saw it, right in front of me. We moved to our house 10 1/2 years ago and we have NEVER used it since moving here. So, off to Goodwill it went. You'd think I would have pulled it on one of my many other kitchen purges, but I hadn't. It's gone now though.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The kitchen is my least favorite room in the house sine DH passed.  I could declutter that room in 30 minutes.  Unfortunately my sisters would open a cupboard and see very little left.  I told one of my other forum friends it would look like I just moved in and had no money (lol).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

This is a review from Amazon:

I rarely write reviews, but this book truly sparked something in me that I feel compelled to share. The basic concept is to only surround yourself with things that spark joy. Decide what you want to keep, not necessarily what you want to throw away. I have bought other organization or purging books in hopes of getting my cluttered home in order. This book was the only one that I read all the way through and actually put into practice. The anthropomorphism in this book spoke to me for some reason. While I don't believe socks are alive, her concept of freeing socks in their tight, little bundles and letting them rest because they work hard for you makes perfect sense to me. In other words, don't stretch out your socks because you want them to last as long as possible. Care for your items as if they were "real" and not only will your items last longer, but you will feel better having done so. The book really is about being happier. Cleaning out your clutter and the process she describes is truly life changing in ways I cannot explain. I am about 2 weeks into my de cluttering and I am much happier in my home. I have donated and discarded over 6 large bags of items. While I usually feel guilt over letting objects go, her process and explanations have freed me of that. She has wonderful folding and storage techniques as well. My children and husband love the work I have done thus far and it is causing them to start the process on their items. An unexpected surprise for me (and total joy to my husband) is my newfound frugality while shopping. I used to be a borderline shopaholic. But now, I truly just buy things I want around me. I think differently as I shop. I know it's a change that will last. It's strange but true. Marie Kondo is not only an expert on the art of de cluttering, but she is also an expert on human behavior and how to change it. I am a believer in her methods, and fan. She's amazing. The book is well worth it.

I may get the Kindle version. I was notorious for reading and had books all over the place. Since getting the Kindle a few years ago, that problem has disappeared  I now have just a few treasured books; the rest are either on the Kindle or in the Cloud to read whenever I want.  I just need to translate this into other areas. Until I read the book, I am concentrating on "Does this bring me joy?"

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

I havent read the book but get the general idea. When, I was decluttering, I was asking myself some of the same questions.  It does help in letting things go. 

One of her concepts that would of helped me in attacking decluttering is from the angle of what do I want to keep as opposed to what do I want to get rid of.  I might keep this in mind because I do want to start decluttering again, but this time, more slowly.  It is a hard process nonetheless.

Trusted Contributor

I may get the Kindle version also.
Respected Contributor

It's an excellent method.

I started with my shoes (I cannot resist ballet flats, and canvas flat shoes for summer). I tried them all on. If they felt the least bit uncomfortable, I put them in a give-away box.

I wound up giving the local thrift store 20 pairs of shoes I'd never worn. (I still have about 40 pairs left, but at least I made a dent in the shoe clutter.)

I'm going to continue with clothing, going category by category. (That's not exactly what she recommends, but that will work for me.)

Esteemed Contributor

There are lots of videos about this on YouTube.  I haven't read the book, but I've learned a few things from vloggers.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

While I was dusting yesterday, I decided it was time to get rid of some long-age bird houses. The parts really couldn't be dusted and I thought, out, out, out with you. My husband wanted to pack them away. I said, till when and for what purpose? He said, well, for when you want to put them up again. I knew it wasn't happening, so I tossed it all out. I won't miss dusting those things. LOL. So victory over another small area. The small ones add up to big ones.