Trusted Contributor

I have some pages of stamps that my mother had saved. I don't know what to do with them. I am afraid to put them on someplace like Craigslist. There is a stamp and coin sale in a local hotel this week, but I'm not sure I can trust them either. How would you recommend I sell this collection?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone a stamp collector?

[ Edited ]

There are so many reference books you can buy that will give you pricing for what you have.

I would search Amazon or if you have a local book store, buy a current published paperback and look them up.  I prefer buying books that I can see the format and if the content has examples of what I actually have.

Before you go anywhere (especially to those hotel guys) you need to be educated as to what you have first.

Don't be in a hurry to just sell them, research and educate yourself.   Sometimes you may have nothing, meaning $10 or so and sometimes you may have hundreds.

Some may say E-Bay but condition, condition, condition and what you have and in what form may be the difference between $1 a stamp vs. $2.50 a stamp.  You really can't compare what's shown on E-Bay to what you have.

Open the telephone book (yes, they still print them) and look up collectibles, you may find a local shop that will buy them from you but keep in mind they will low ball you since they need to resell them and are taking a chance of adding them to their inventory or just waiting for the right buyer to come in.

My mom did those hotel guys, if you don't care what they offer, go for it but keep in mind these guys travel from one city to another and they are looking for the best at the cheapest price.  They'll "cherry pick" what you have and sometimes you're better selling it as a "collection" meaning if someone wants the good stuff they'll have to give you money for the lesser valued stuff.  I personally went to a toy hotel guy, brought 10 huge boxes of old time dolls, games and toys, they bought 1 piece, just because they are old doesn't mean they are worth anything.

Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if stamp sheets can be framed.  Some are beautiful and it would be a nice way to remember your mother.  The framing would have to be done in an archival manner to preserve their value and prevent fading.

Honored Contributor

I have my dads collection.

It dates back to the 40's.  He collected full sheets and plate blocks.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently acquired my Grandmother's stamp collection.  She is long gone, so some of these stamps are really old.  Thank you for the information from the previous poster.  Someday I will get around to dealing with them.  I don't really want to keep them.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wonder if stamp sheets can be framed.  Some are beautiful and it would be a nice way to remember your mother.  The framing would have to be done in an archival manner to preserve their value and prevent fading.

I agree. I have done it and they are beautiful.   Being archival doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Valued Contributor

I still have the stamp collection that I had as a child.  Some stamps from the 50's and 60's.  Often wondered if there is any value in them.  Some I have from many different countries that are not even countries anymore!  I would buy them from stamp places in magazines.  Maybe on down the line in a hundred years, some might prove valuable.