Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Work for a Business that Closes for a Week?

I used to. Actually, we would get the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, the day after Christmas, worked  a half day of New Years Eve and New Years Day. When those holidays fell on the weekend, we also got an extra day.  Don't worry, we killed ourselves in between. In NYC, business is very slow during the time between Christmas and New Years. 

Those were the days...

Respected Contributor

Used to.  Time off the day before Christmas Eve through Jan. 1.  Paid.

Honored Contributor

My husband works for a company that closes before Christmas, and opens up the first work day after New Years.  They are paid.  The company does not take many of the usual holidays  many workers are given. They work Martin Luther, President's Day, Veteran's Day, Columbus and a few more I forgot.  These are Holidays the schools, government,and banks often take.

The type of work often has a lot to do with this leave at Christmas.  Many businesses are too slow, have finished contracts so it behoves them to close. Because many in management take off traditionally during the Holidays, the employees have followed suit.

Many businesses, like all three of my daughters will not close.  They trade choosing vacations on the first of every year.  If one employee chooses that week, no one else can have it.  My daughter gets 7 weeks a year, and it is hard to take a week at a time where she works.  No one does her work...hahahaha,

Honored Contributor

My husband's company strongly encouraged employees to take off the week using paid vacation days.  I resented the pressure to take the time in the dead of winter:/

Honored Contributor

It's nice to know there are some companies that have moved toward civilized behavior...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I work in the Aerospace Industry, and yes we are closed from the 21st of December and return on the 4th of January.

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I work in the Aerospace Industry, and yes we are closed from the 21st of December and return on the 4th of January.

I wondered if they still did that.  I worked for the Air Force in contracting and most of the companies we negotiated with were closed from before Christmas until after New Years.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's nice to know there are some companies that have moved toward civilized behavior...

Canada also has a Civic Holiday in August.

Why? Because it's August and it's a good time for a long weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana

I have worked in the Aerospace Industry for over 20+ years and all of the companies that I know still have a shut down period.. I swear that's one of the main reasons why I stay in the industry. I love having the Christmas break off every year.

Honored Contributor

I worked in a museum that had broken AC. The Museum was housed in an original 1910 Carnegie Library building.  The ac  never worked. in one part of buidking...the area we were in!!  So when the temps rose to over 89 in the office we had to go home, LOL! We also closed Christmas to New Years, as an annual closing.  No one ever came in we were told.  I didn't like doing that because I loved to work, especially when it was slow.  I could work on displays easier, and there were no tours to give.  After the City clamped down, we stayed open during the holidays.