Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Familiar with Hospital Rules & Regulations?

And we wonder WHY people pick up all these superbugs in the hospital!!

John -- I can tell you for certain that patients with balloon pumps do get turned and have their skin care and get beds changed and at times have to get on & off bedpans. If patients did not get skin care for 4 days their backside would break down and they would get bad bad bad infections in that area. A patient who is GI bleeding would have a lot - really a lot - of black tarry stools, that would either be in a bedpan or need to be cleaned up.

Quality of care has really changed in the 10 years I have been retired I guess.Even in ICU.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have an elderly family member that has been in a major hospital for over a week.  It appears the bedding/entire room has not been cleaned and sheets have not been changed since he's been there.  

Is this the normal today?  I remember many years ago when I was hospitalized my bed sheets were changed daily whether I liked it or not. 

Thoughts?  I don't want to report it if I'm out of line.  

@Sunshine Kate

In this case, it sounds like the Nursing Supervisor is the person to talk to ......  first.

In most cases, the best person to call is the Hospital Administrator .....  they keep the place running and are also concerned with the big picture, abiding by all regulations and prevention of lawsuits, etc.    Always a good choice.

Start with charge nurse, then work way up chain of command.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

Having spend many weeks as a patient in a major hospital, this is not normal. I spent all my many weeks in the hospital sleeping in a lounge chair, thus no need to change any of the bedding. Spent 8 days in ICU, in a bed. There they could not change bedding for the first 4 days. I had a heart attack and Aspiration Pneumonia.

This required a Balloon Pump placed in a Major Artery in my groin. Any slight movement could cause it to move, which could then start uncontrolled bleeding from that artery and I could bleed to death. I had to keep my leg straight, no movement, during those 4 days. Obviously, no bedding changed.

Most mobile patients the hospital staff want them up moving each day, that is when the bedding is often changed. 

My wife also has spent 4-6 days several times in the same hospital. After surgery she was mobile and her bedding was changed daily, and house keeping came in every day to clean every part of her room.

What does your family member say about this? Unless unable to reply, that to me would be the first person I would ask.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, he has terminal cancer, and drains coming out of his body.  Also, pneumonia and has no immunity to anything, plus more.  He's able to walk around with some help, but no one (hospital staff) exercises him.  Physical therapy came and placed him in a chair.  Can't eat food only liquid diet and doesn't want that.  

Doesn't have probably but a few months, (who knows), but that doesn't mean he should be neglected in a hospital and not cleaned.    

As far as your question and the cleanliness subject I'm asking about, he's on a lot of pain meds and is oblivious to most things.  Cleanliness is the least of his worries at this time.  

Before I start raising 'hail' just want to get my "ducks in a row". 

Thanks for the reply.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, he has terminal cancer, and drains coming out of his body.  Also, pneumonia and has no immunity to anything, plus more.  He's able to walk around with some help, but no one (hospital staff) exercises him.  Physical therapy came and placed him in a chair.  Can't eat food only liquid diet and doesn't want that.  

Doesn't have probably but a few months, (who knows), but that doesn't mean he should be neglected in a hospital and not cleaned.    

As far as your question and the cleanliness subject I'm asking about, he's on a lot of pain meds and is oblivious to most things.  Cleanliness is the least of his worries at this time.  

Thanks for the reply.

-----------------------------------------------

Has social services been called in to have him considered for hospice care instead?

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Has social services been called in to have him considered for hospice care instead?

@JustJazzmom, yes.  It's on the very, very near horizon.  

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

@JustJazzmom, yes.  It's on the very, very near horizon.  

I'm glad to hear, but sorry you are going through this.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate oh boy.....I was wondering if your family member was terminal.....prayers being sent to you and yours.  Hospitals do have a certain number of beds allocated to hospice.....even if the patient can't be transferred to the hospice facility.  I worked in hospice and they do such a great job advocating for patients and families.....hopefully you all will get set up soon.  Such a rough time....so many emotions....let alone having to follow up on housekeeping.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

You could call the Hospital Operator & ask to be transferred to a Patient Representative, Guest Relations Member, or Hospitality Supervisor. In the quest for good favor & future recommendations, most hospitals have implemented this practice. Of course, if the cleanliness of the room is in question, demand to speak to the Nurse Manager of the unit. Hospitals have become most savvy in how to beat the competition and try to tamp down any unpleasantness. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have been in the hospital many times and the sheets were not changed daily, no matter which hospital I have been in. However they were changed at least twice a week or even 3 times a week. I would be complaining right away and let them know that you are very upset that this even needs to be discussed.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

@151949. I think you are right on this, after 34 years I can't remember anyone not being turned for days. Cataract patients could not sit or stand but they were turned in the old days.. Clean dry sheets do not have to be changed daily. 

Hospital beds tend to look messy and wrinkled from the mechanics of electric beds.

I would be more concerned about handwashing by the staff if all other parts of his care were being met.