Valued Contributor

@Marp wrote:

3/27 Morning Update

April had us watching the monitors close last night. Her behavior was interesting last night, and is noted as continued this morning. She is very relaxed, tail has been raising on and off for periods of time. Wax caps are in place but we have noted a significant mammary change! Photo is comments section! We are getting there!

Any changes will be posted throughout the day.

Today, we share with you the video link to a highly demanded, up close (but quick) video of April and Allysa. Their bond is evident - a true trusting relationship.

Giraffe Factoid:
The hoof of a giraffe is about 12" or the size of your dinner plate! Think about that at your next meal!! In the wild, hooves are naturally maintained by the hard and coarse ground surface. In captive management programs, we mimic that natural substrate for hoof care - often why you will often not see green grass (North American grass) in giraffe yards. Their entry and exit from their barn also has a specific material, and the barn floors are finished to promote hoof trimming. If the hoof is not able to be naturally trimmed, giraffes can and will train to stand for the largest manicure you have ever seen!

https://youtu.be/JcGtDo3tZrM

Photo from comments referenced above:

Animal Adventure Park

Checking this thread without my glasses, looking at the photo, I thought-that's odd, why do they have a map to the park posted?  Hehee

I watched for a good bit last night-she really did seem relaxed--not a lot of pacing-but leaning against the boards and just eating-

I am beginning to wonder though, what possesses me to watch April for an hour or so, while all she does is chew food for five minutes or MORE at a time and then, continue watching so I can see it travel all the way down her throat !!! 

Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I am hoping for an April Fool's Day baby Smiley Happy

Only because in the live chats every night at 8pm when AAP is online, there are multiple trolls who think this is not real, April does not really belong to AAP, and this is just being done to raise money.

Takes all kind of crazies to make the world go round. I think it would great to have it April 1st Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@silentgirl

Oh, that is funny...the picture of her bottom tummy area, without my glasses, does look like a road map Smiley Happy

And, I agree...I do not fully understand why I feel compelled to watch nothing more than April chewing.  Why is it so satsifying?   More strange is the sense that I will miss April  when they take down the webcam.  I feel like I know her Smiley Happy

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

I really think this will be an April baby. Only a few more days to go.

Honored Contributor

And I, who have proven time and time again that I have no idea what I'm talking about, think April is in labor now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody watching April

[ Edited ]

@riley1 wrote:

They don't consider her to be in labor until they see hooves - I think they said that in one of their updates.

Did a male say that? I bet April doesn't think so. When they see hooves... sheeesh, I would call that birthing...

I'm just being a smart a$ $ ...she is magnificent

Valued Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

@silentgirl

Oh, that is funny...the picture of her bottom tummy area, without my glasses, does look like a road map Smiley Happy

And, I agree...I do not fully understand why I feel compelled to watch nothing more than April chewing.  Why is it so satsifying?   More strange is the sense that I will miss April  when they take down the webcam.  I feel like I know her Smiley Happy

@rrpell I'm glad my mind went to road map on that one!

I think we all just find peace in watching a beautiful thing-just being-in silence-

Someone here reported that they'll be leaving the cam up for 5 days after April gives birth-so we can watch her calf and wean ourselves at the same time- Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

This is a truncated update.  I did not bring over the information about the April store as it could cause the post to be removed.

3/27 Evening Report

Keepers, vet, and Jordan agree - we are getting there! Her mammary development has continued to slowly increase. Photo in comments. This is Good! We do not expect any additional back end swell, so all judging is now done based on udder changes. You will notice keepers continuing to snap photos of the underside to document changes. April's attitude is good, though she did strike at (and miss) the vet again - we just think she was giving him a hoof (hand) out the door.

Photo from comments with a single comment that to the best of recollection is accurate.

Animal Adventure Park

All wax caps look present still ShawnaSmiley Happy Remember, the wax caps aren't always a great indicator of impending delivery.. often the calf suckles them off. But the progress even from this morning is awesome! Inching closer and closer!
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp Thanks for posting this exciting update.  It really looks like April will finally let us share her calf.

Wonder if it will be a boy or a girl.  I am leaning toward boy.  What do you all think???

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@Marp Thanks for posting this exciting update.  It really looks like April will finally let us share her calf.

Wonder if it will be a boy or a girl.  I am leaning toward boy.  What do you all think???

I think that it will either be a male or a female.