Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody watching April

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2

You're right and when she had her tail up and I saw a big kick earlier, she did splay her back legs apart, that's why I was hoping it was a contraction, LOL!

ETA: And she never did poop. I think she's getting really close!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The thing to keep in mind is, not only does the tail have to be up, that alone is NOT an indicator that birth is imminent, but, her hind legs have to be splayed apart, too.

So, I look for how far apart her hind hooves are as an indicator that she might be giving birth soon.

Just like us women have to spread our legs to give birth, so does April.

Many times when her tail is up, it's just so she can poop.

Yes yes yes, they were totally wide apart-

No poop-wide apart back legs, tail up, body stretched out-huge movement and jerking...contraction ?  No pooping-

Respected Contributor

Wouldn't her water  break before the baby actually gets born?  That would actually be the best indicator that it is going to happen soon.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about birthing no giraffes but sometimes with puppies they come out with the sac intact and the mother bites it and rips it open then licks the puppy to make it breathe.

Esteemed Contributor

They don't consider her to be in labor until they see hooves - I think they said that in one of their updates.

Esteemed Contributor

3/26 Evening Update.

Keeper report is increased calf activity in comparison to this morning and last evening.

All other development is as previously reported. Appetite is strong and demeanor is good.

Staff will spend time tomorrow trying to expedite the yard thaw - to get our giraffes some exposure outside. Stella sure won't let us forget she was here!

We expect the online apparel store to open again tomorrow! We will announce the site being back up once we get the word!

Hope all had an enjoyable weekend and are ready for another week of April watching!

Photo is Oliver stealing a smooch - while April steals some hay! Photo from www.newyorkupstate.com

Image may contain: outdoor

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

That picture is too cute.  Thanks for posting this @MarpThis pregnancy really seems endless.  But as long as April is well, it's all good.

Have a great day watching and waiting everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

3/27 Morning Update

April had us watching the monitors close last night. Her behavior was interesting last night, and is noted as continued this morning. She is very relaxed, tail has been raising on and off for periods of time. Wax caps are in place but we have noted a significant mammary change! Photo is comments section! We are getting there!

Any changes will be posted throughout the day.

Today, we share with you the video link to a highly demanded, up close (but quick) video of April and Allysa. Their bond is evident - a true trusting relationship.

Giraffe Factoid:
The hoof of a giraffe is about 12" or the size of your dinner plate! Think about that at your next meal!! In the wild, hooves are naturally maintained by the hard and coarse ground surface. In captive management programs, we mimic that natural substrate for hoof care - often why you will often not see green grass (North American grass) in giraffe yards. Their entry and exit from their barn also has a specific material, and the barn floors are finished to promote hoof trimming. If the hoof is not able to be naturally trimmed, giraffes can and will train to stand for the largest manicure you have ever seen!

https://youtu.be/JcGtDo3tZrM

Photo from comments referenced above:

Animal Adventure Park

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp Thanks for the updates!

Honored Contributor

@riley1@Marp

Still holding my breath and watching!

Thanks @Marp for the updates!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~