Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay, I don't think Oliver has been moody.  He is much more active than April (gee, do you think carrying a 6', 150 # calf inside her has something to do with that?).

Oliver is very young and the keepers do not interact with him like they do with April.  They do not go into his stall with him there.  As was posted a while back a bull is a bull is a bull.  As an aside watching him prance around and kick always bring a smile.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I read yesterday that they're going to keep the camera on for 5 days after the birth. 

@gidgetgh, did you read that on FB?  I missed any announcement about how long the camera would be up.  I'm hoping now that Toys R Us is sponsoring they will leave it up.

I would urge anyone that uses FB to go to the Toys R Us FB page and post a thank you or perhaps even better post it on the park's FB page.  It might be enough to encourage them to continue sponsoring the cam.

It is exciting watching a giraffe calf grow and develop, especially the first few months.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I read yesterday that they're going to keep the camera on for 5 days after the birth. 

@gidgetgh, did you read that on FB?  I missed any announcement about how long the camera would be up.  I'm hoping now that Toys R Us is sponsoring they will leave it up.

I would urge anyone that uses FB to go to the Toys R Us FB page and post a thank you or perhaps even better post it on the park's FB page.  It might be enough to encourage them to continue sponsoring the cam.

It is exciting watching a giraffe calf grow and develop, especially the first few months.

@Marp- on their Facebook page yesterday someone posted a link to an interview with Alyssa. In that, she said the camera would stay up for 5 days. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

3/23 Evening Update

April has many thinking tonight is the night, as chat rooms and social media postings question her behavior and positioning. We will wait to see what the night brings. Both Keepers and Vet report further back end swell, no change in discharge or lactation.

Temperatures are starting to rise, snow is almost gone - outside yard time will soon return!

We leave you with a photo from Oliver's First summer with us, while still a bachelor... Jordan and he had a great bond during this transition period (before maturity), and we believe that's evident in this photo - taken during Critter Camp: Giraffes Giraffes Giraffes while addressing the kids. "I'VE GOT YOUR BACK"

Image may contain: 1 person

Esteemed Contributor

3/24 Morning Update

All is well in Giraffe Land.

Nothing beyond the normal to report. As I update, significant kicks and movements occurring on April's left side.

The bucket puzzle feeder saga will continue today for round #3!
Those will be added around 1:30 PM today.

We will also be visited by the caretakers of "Geoffrey the Giraffe", as Toys R Us corporate will be onsite for a quick hello!

Thank you to our many supporters around the world! Remember that all things April the Giraffe can be found on her site www.Aprilthegiraffe.com

The April apparel store will be back Monday for another chance to grab your April the Giraffe Merch!

Giraffe Factoid:
It is said that 50% of giraffe calves do not survive their first 6 months due to predation from lions, hyenas, leopards and others.
Factor in poaching, and habitat destruction, the odds are against Giraffes! Be an equalizer and support giraffe conservation efforts!

Today's photo credit to www.nyupstate.com
There is no doubt - that belly is growing!

Image may contain: outdoor

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Marp---everytime her tail goes up a bit I get excited and then she poops.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

@Marp  Thank you for the update.  I hope you'll tell us when April delivers.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody watching April

[ Edited ]

I had two appointments this morning and left our house at 9:30. I had my iPad with me, but couldn't look at it till we stopped for lunch. My husband and I got to the restaurant.  We sat down and I immediately pulled out my iPad and pulled up the live feed.  IMMEDIATELY. I was thrilled to see that I didn't miss the birth. 

The waitress came and kind of glanced at the iPad and said "is that April"?  So she took a look also. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Jamma@gidgetgh@ValuSkr@Marp@on the bay

@Marp

Thank you for the updates!

I just love these animals so much. They are beautiful and the earth needs them, too! They add to us.

I will go find the ToysrUs FB page in hopes of encouraging them to keep the live feed rolling.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I'm so glad you all are on here!

Did anyone notice this morning when, I thought it was Alyssa? was cleaning not only the cage but the walls and even in Oliver's cage that she (or whoever) seemed to be all business and April kept going near here maybe waiting for some snuggles or a treat? but she kept on going at a fast pace? Or did I miss the times they had interacted? April looked puzzled. Maybe I am reading something into it that wasn't there I hope?

But really after staring at her for over a month, I feel like I know her at least a little.I didn't want her feelings to be hurt!Woman LOL Oh goodness, I need a life lol! But what a great giraffe to watch!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"