Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody gotten their taxes done yet?,

@millieshops wrote:

@gidgetghI end up filing for an extension fairly often -  for me, it's a function of some pieces of information not coming in until late or being corrected by a company at the last minute or just that I'm in Florida and my accountant is in NY and I want a face-to-face with her before I file.

The worst part is that extensions just extend the time the file is open and I have to think about it.  The process is very easy - but do remember to estimate anything you might owe at the time you file for extension.  I often add a few dollars -  they come back if I overpay.  No big deal since money in the bank isn't earning as much as the penalty would be!

Sorry you have all this to deal with -  it's certainly not fun!

@millieshops- thanks. I'm really organized and had everything ready for our tax preparer for my parents things but she can't do them till we receive the 1099's from various stock sales. And one of the stocks was a limited partnership and for that you need the &*#" K1 which doesn't come out till late March. I'll take it to our preparer as soon as I get it.  She's already started working on my dad's taxes but there's only so much she can do without the K1.  And, as I mentioned earlier, we can't do ours till she finishes his because there is some form she has to do for us because of inheritance from my parents estate. I have ours ready to go, but am in a holding pattern as is my sister. 

Frustrating but I was able to get my parents estate settled before the end of 2016 so this will be the end of all the estate stuff.  It's possible that we'll get it all done by 4/15 but it will be very close. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody gotten their taxes done yet?

done, owed,they got their money

Esteemed Contributor

Mine are done and refunds received.  I tend to procrastinate about things like this, so if I don't do it right away I would put it off until April 14.

Esteemed Contributor

I already filed and waiting on my small refund, but I have great plans for it

Respected Contributor

I have to do our taxes and also my moms. I am waiting on a few documents for my mom in order to do her taxes. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I e-filed yesterday. Yay!!!! I'll get my refund just in time to pay the first half of my property tax. Out of one pocket into another.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Meezerpleezer wrote:

We are still missing some 1099's.  I cannot understand why some banks are allowed extensions every year past the January 31st date.  Other than that, we are ready to file.

@Meezerpleezer- irritating isn't it?  I'm still waiting for one 1099 for interest for my parents estate.  It was generated 1/31.  Not here yet.  I called and asked for a duplicate on Monday and they told me I had to wait till Friday to request the duplicate.  

On the return for my parents estate, I sold some stock and the deadline for  THOSE 1099's is Feb. 15th.  So those are just now starting to trickle in.

And I have to wait for this other weird form thing for my parents taxes and that isn't generated until March 31st!!

@gidgetgh  @CelticCrafter  It is extremely annoying especially since they have the info know that it is required by Jan 31 each year.  Unless I hear something different, I don't think that they have a real excuse except that they can.

Respected Contributor

We received our tiny refund last week.

Trusted Contributor

Done and refunded also.  My situation is relatively simple, and I like it that way. 

My SO had a substantial salary increase, this past year. That's great, of course, but, not so much, tax wise😳  He's getting his taxes done on Friday, so, he'll get the word!

Honored Contributor

We don't even have our appointment yet.  Our guy is always so booked up that it takes a little while.   From the time my husband drops off our package (accountant's office is like half a block from my husband's office), then we wait until he calls to make the appointment.  NO big rush.  It always gets done in March and any refund hits my checking account within a couple of weeks.