Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody gotten their taxes done yet?

I just handed  mine over today to our friend, accountant, neighbor.... Pays to live rural where you know everyone and we help each other out for a fair price.  

Respected Contributor

I get small quarterly disbursements from my grandfather's estate...can't file till I get the paperwork for that from my aunt (executor). Should be soon, then off to see the accountants!

Honored Contributor

No. Wait till the last minute. Want to keep our money as long as possible.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghI end up filing for an extension fairly often -  for me, it's a function of some pieces of information not coming in until late or being corrected by a company at the last minute or just that I'm in Florida and my accountant is in NY and I want a face-to-face with her before I file.

The worst part is that extensions just extend the time the file is open and I have to think about it.  The process is very easy - but do remember to estimate anything you might owe at the time you file for extension.  I often add a few dollars -  they come back if I overpay.  No big deal since money in the bank isn't earning as much as the penalty would be!

Sorry you have all this to deal with -  it's certainly not fun!

Trusted Contributor

Submitted mine on Sunday night. One was deposited today. One is being processed.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

we do, it's back, and designated as to where it will go, once what we ordered gets here. Woman Very Happy

Super Contributor

Did mine 2 weeks ago with Turbotax and got my refund in a week

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No.  I used to do them myself but DH and I formed a company for our rental houses so a return has to be done for that, plus our personal return.  I'm not comfortable doing the company return so now we'll be using an accountant.

We deal with accountants at work all the time and they are all swamped busy. They are nearly impossible to get ahold of for anything now.   

ETA:  Just realized in reading this thread that we don't have all 1099's either.  DH is in a band and for some of the gigs he gets a 1099 and in the past those haven't come until well into March.

Valued Contributor

No, still waiting on some documents.  We don't usually file until middle to late March.

Respected Contributor

Yes.

We go to IRS.gov website and do on-line for free.  

Not a lot of deductions so ours is simple!