Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody gotten their taxes done yet?

@just bee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never get a refund.

@SeaMaiden

I hear ya.  Unmarried, no kids, house is paid for.  My charitable donations don't make a dent.  After I pay state and federal, it's time for property taxes.

Like T.S. Eliot said, April is the cruellest month.

@just bee   yes  same here except for being married... ... it is all so  so painful this time of the year... home insurance is also due in February on top of that... I have extra earthquake, flood and  sewer and water line insurance as well... ALL DUE AT THE SAME TIME.   ... then just got my property tax for 2017... $5000 Smiley Sad    ( up about $400 from last year ).     it is really really  depressing....   

Valued Contributor

$5000 for property taxes?  Is that yearly or one installment?  That's awful.

I got my taxes done today.  It was a sad 2016 for me because my DH passed away with Alzheimers and had been in memory care for much of the year.  I thought I would be able to deduct a lot of medical expense, and I WAS able to, but it still didn't amount to as much as I'd expected.  Still, it will be the first time in many years that I didn't have to pay either federal or state taxes.  Unfortunately the money I will get in return, will go to the big tax bill I am making installment payments on. I am so tired of all the interest I have accrued on that tax bill. It's not a huge amount, but I still never seem to make much of a dent in it.

Esteemed Contributor

Still waiting for paperwork to be sent.  I'll probably finish up in a couple weeks.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

ju

@just bee   yes  same here except for being married... ... it is all so  so painful this time of the year... home insurance is also due in February on top of that... I have extra earthquake, flood and  sewer and water line insurance as well... ALL DUE AT THE SAME TIME.   ... then just got my property tax for 2017... $5000 Smiley Sad    ( up about $400 from last year ).     it is really really  depressing....   

@SeaMaiden,  which part of the country do you live to have such a high property tax?  OMG, that's just awful for you plus all the other stuff.  

We are in Cherokee County GA and when you reach 62 you can apply to opt out of school taxes.  Ours were close to 1500.00 total and now our county taxes are only $628.00..  I feel so bad for you having to pay so very much.  I can certainly understand how that is really, really depressing..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suziepeach   Seattle WA. area..... it is a boom town now and property values have gone  crazy high.  My house is nothing special...  1980 built 2400 sq foot,    but, because I live here it is  valued  super high.   The average price on a just so so house( nothing fancy) here is about $350,000.   In 1981 we bought our home for $135,000. Now they value it at about $400,000. 

With all the tech business etc and people moving here now,   It is a sellers market with most houses getting multiple offers over asking price.  That is only good IF YOU ARE SELLING.... those just living here then have to pay the price for the over inflated property taxes here. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Suziepeach   Seattle WA. area..... it is a boom town now and property values have gone  crazy high.  My house is nothing special...  1980 built 2400 sq foot,    but, because I live here it is  valued  super high.   The average price on a just so so house( nothing fancy) here is about $350,000.   In 1981 we bought our home for $135,000. Now they value it at about $400,000. 

With all the tech business etc and people moving here now,   It is a sellers market with most houses getting multiple offers over asking price.  That is only good IF YOU ARE SELLING.... those just living here then have to pay the price for the over inflated property taxes here. Smiley Sad

@SeaMaiden, wow just wow!   Those numbers you pay are astronomical, I can't imagine having taxes that inflated.  I'll bet you more than cringe when that bill comes due.  It's crazy!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden, wow just wow!   Those numbers you pay are astronomical, I can't imagine having taxes that inflated.  I'll bet you more than cringe when that bill comes due.  It's crazy!!

@Suziepeach  If it was not such a wonderful place to live... I think utopia.... it would make it much harder.  I can not imagine anyplace else I would rather live... so there I am.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I've heard so many wonderful things about that area,   no wonder so many are attracted to living there.  As long as you and your heart are happy, that's what matters...

Go VOLS
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, didn't even start them. I will do them in March. I do NOT do them online like most. I still do them by hand to work my brain because I love Math.

Why didn't I do them yet? Even though DH works we don't get hardly anything back anymore because we can no longer go the long way because the house is close to being paid off, so we don't have enough to claim the long anymore, and its just us. So we are at the point of doing the short. AND I have to pay taxes on money benefits I get from my old job, money that I already paid taxes on when I worked which aggravates me since others don't even pay their taxes at all. Thus I'm waiting to do them.

My adult kids do theirs immediately online because they get lots back, especially my daughter and her DH who have a newer home and 3 kids. They love tax season..lol. DH and I look forward to May when DH gets his big yearly bonus from work.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Don't ever move to New Jersey.  Everyone I know, myself included, pays over $10,000 in property taxes.  And I'm not talking Real Housewives houses in exclusive areas lol