Respected Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for 8th grade graduation gifts.

Money, money, money. Most kids that age don't work and would love to have some cash.

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

We don't do this in my part of the country. I am kind of glad about that too.

In my mind, it smacks of that "trophy for participating" thing.

It isn't at all that kind of thing. It is about encouraging continued interest in academic achievement, through recognizing another milestone reached. 

Many kids will drop out of school in the couple of years after 8th grade, and if a graduation ceremony helps any realize that they have indeed done well and their achievements recognized, it could lead to them wanting to continue their education. 

Celebrating educational milestones and achievements are never a bad thing, in my book.

Sorry I'm not buying into that! It's 8th grade. Let's all keep raising the children's expectation that everything comes with a prize!

Or we can refuse to recognize achievement and not reward positive behavior and choices (like good grades etc.) and have them loose interest in something that from this point (education past 8th grade) gets harder, and at some point, they don't even have to continue if they aren't motivated to do so.

Funny how we have people who slam recognizing 8th grade graduation with a small token or a ceremony, yet we are eager to give wedding showers, wedding gifts, Christmas gifts, birthday gifts etc. 

What is the difference, really? Remembering somone's latest life accomplishment or journey is a kind, thoughtful, fun thing to do.

I didn't see anyone here say it needed to cost a lot of money or be overdone. I think some of you are just obstinate. "If I didn't get it, It isn't necessary" kind of thing.

This isn't about everyone getting a prize or a trophy. This is about recognizing one of the most important things our kids should be doing, valuing education. But I can see that point is missed on a good many here.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:
I can't believe how critical people are of an 8th grade graduation. It's a nice milestone to celebrate, IMO.

It is a milestone. I read about cap/gowns for kindergarten and lavish parties. 

We just had the family over for dinner and had a cake for kindergarten graduation. 

That's typically what most people we knew did. 

If people want to throw lavish parties, more power to them, I guess.  LOL

Where are our values?

Ok to spend tens of thousands of dollars (or more) on weddings that over half end in divorce.

Buy a card, give a gift, have a simple ceremony and maybe a dance or dinner to celebrate education and continuing it, and people freak.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:
I can't believe how critical people are of an 8th grade graduation. It's a nice milestone to celebrate, IMO.

It is a milestone. I read about cap/gowns for kindergarten and lavish parties. 

We just had the family over for dinner and had a cake for kindergarten graduation. 

That's typically what most people we knew did. 

If people want to throw lavish parties, more power to them, I guess.  LOL

Where are our values?

Ok to spend tens of thousands of dollars (or more) on weddings that over half end in divorce.

Buy a card, give a gift, have a simple ceremony and maybe a dance or dinner to celebrate education and continuing it, and people freak.

Here is my take on all of it.  It is starting from year one. I see over the top birthday parties for babies, big deals over kindergarten "graduation",  big ceremonies for school awards, over the top athletic banquets, over the top parties and proms, over the top graduation parties, and all leading to over the top weddings.  Every thing is such a big deal these days and some people act like they are the only ones with children and they are so special.  I have four children and I have seen it all.  There are lovely parties and celebrations and then there are unbelievable parties and celebrations.  When they start out big, it is hard to keep outdoing themselves.  For some, it is all about showing off.

Respected Contributor

We almost always give money for all graduations.

8th grade graduation was a special event for our family.  I attended Catholic school.  Most of us started in kindergarten together.  After 8th grade some went to public school while others went to a variety of private or Catholic high schools. Graduation was both exciting and somewhat sad.

If you've ever seen The Bells of St. Mary's you'll remember the importance of 8th grade graduation.

Honored Contributor

It's been fun reading this thread, even though I don't really understand, because I like to hear/read the different POVs and experiences on things.

I think the reason that I simply cannot relate to all these 'graduations' (i.e. kindergarten, 8th grade) is that I was never nurtured or loved as a child.

Aside from all the home duties for this little Cinderella Smiley Wink school was my JOB.  As a child, I just always thought that going to school and passing the classes was my job and nothing more.  Just to 'pass' a class meant nothing where I was.   It was either 'get all As or get beat'.   Needless to say I did what was expected and I was just fortunate that I was a pretty smart kid.

So, in my world, you never got accolades (or, for goodness sake, GIFTS!) for just doing your job.  To just pass a class would have gotten a pretty bad result anyway.   To get all As was just to feel relief that there wouldn't be any screaming and the other stuff.

Now, high school. graduation WAS recognized.  No party or anything, but I did get a gift - (this is kind of funny in retrospect) - a suitcase.  

I guess I'm glad that other kids get recognized but I cannot help feeling that some of it is really overkill.  If all they have to do to get praise, parties, gifts, etc, is to pass a class - it's just hard for me to understand because that is about the only job most kids have - go to school and pass your classes.   I don't know if any of that makes sense to others, but it does to me.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Sin ce when do we have to give guifts for getting past 8th grade?

I'm 63 and I got 8th grade grad giftsSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

It's not new at all-my dad would be 100 and I have a picture of HIS 8th grade Grad!

@Jacie wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

It isn't at all that kind of thing. It is about encouraging continued interest in academic achievement, through recognizing another milestone reached. 

Many kids will drop out of school in the couple of years after 8th grade, and if a graduation ceremony helps any realize that they have indeed done well and their achievements recognized, it could lead to them wanting to continue their education. 

Celebrating educational milestones and achievements are never a bad thing, in my book.

Sorry I'm not buying into that! It's 8th grade. Let's all keep raising the children's expectation that everything comes with a prize!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Or we can refuse to recognize achievement and not reward positive behavior and choices (like good grades etc.) and have them loose interest in something that from this point (education past 8th grade) gets harder, and at some point, they don't even have to continue if they aren't motivated to do so.

Funny how we have people who slam recognizing 8th grade graduation with a small token or a ceremony, yet we are eager to give wedding showers, wedding gifts, Christmas gifts, birthday gifts etc. 

What is the difference, really? Remembering somone's latest life accomplishment or journey is a kind, thoughtful, fun thing to do.

I didn't see anyone here say it needed to cost a lot of money or be overdone. I think some of you are just obstinate. "If I didn't get it, It isn't necessary" kind of thing.

This isn't about everyone getting a prize or a trophy. This is about recognizing one of the most important things our kids should be doing, valuing education. But I can see that point is missed on a good many here.

Kids who are having positive experiences and getting good grades don't drop out of school. The kids who drop out do so because they are experiencing just the opposite of that for one reason or another.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Kids who are having positive experiences and getting good grades don't drop out of school. The kids who drop out do so because they are experiencing just the opposite of that for one reason or another.

Um, yes, my point exactly.