Super Contributor

Any advice for a mom of a 19 yr old son who has no direction?

My 19 year old son is going to the local community college. He has a nice outdoor job for the summer, which is designed for college students. He makes quite a nice hourly wage there - its to help college kids. If he quits, he loses his summer job.

He wants to quit. He struggles and doesnt see the purpose because he has no idea what he wants to do. He has no direction or guidance. He doesnt feel directed one way or the other - doesnt have any skills, necessarily, that he knows of, talents, or even desires to learn something or be something in particular. He just doesnt know.

It's depressing. I feel for him. I used to worry about myself when I was in school (high school) - what was I going to do with myself? What do I do? What am I good at? But I just fell into a govt. job after high school that I've been able to learn and grow and move up in.

I just don't know what to tell him. I suggested seeing a counselor or advisor at the school. I hope he gets help. He's also seeing a (family-type) counsellor and I told him to bring this kind of thing up with his counsellor as well.

Any advice? What would you do? What have you done? Where do we go for help or inspiration?

Thanks, friends.