Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Suggestions on USPS Lost Package?

Several years ago I came home after being out most of the day to find a FedEx overnight envelope on my porch.  IT was addressed to My neighbor at 110.  I live at 101.  I walked it down to him and he was so grateful.  It was a large check from one of his investments and he had been tracking it on line.  It had shown as delivered several hours earlier and he had been making frantic calls to FedEx to say it had not been delivered.  So, yes just because it shows as delivered does not mean it was correctly,delivered.

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Several years ago I came home after being out most of the day to find a FedEx overnight envelope on my porch.  IT was addressed to My neighbor at 110.  I live at 101.  I walked it down to him and he was so grateful.  It was a large check from one of his investments and he had been tracking it on line.  It had shown as delivered several hours earlier and he had been making frantic calls to FedEx to say it had not been delivered.  So, yes just because it shows as delivered does not mean it was correctly,delivered.

I believe this happens more than most people realize.  UPS delivered one of my QVC orders to my neighbor.  Wife was out of town on business, before leaving she  placed boxes on the porch to add to the burn barrel.  Her husband saw the small box out on his porch (amoung the others) and assumed it was an empty box.  I was tracking the package and UPS told me they had a sub driver on our route and luckly he remembered that he delivered it to the log home up in the woods.

Honored Contributor

First Class absolutely can have tracking. 

Other posters are correct...'Delivered' doesn't necessarily mean delivered to YOU or your recipient.

It also comes with $50 of automatic insurance.

If your item was more valuable than that...you are out of luck UNLESS you paid for extra insurance.

The Post Office sticks strictly to that rule no matter how much you complain.

If your tracking is incomplete (meaning USPS has no idea where it is) you can file your claim for your $50 provided you kept your receipts.

I also had a pkg take 3 mos. to reach its destination.

Respected Contributor

Maybe everyone is talking Priority Mail...that's 1st class but not the same as putting stamps on a package and sending it 1st class.

Priority has tracking numbers........

Sending somethng in a mailbox with stamps is not necessarily priority mail

I'll just continue to do what I do for my business and stay out of this.....

Super Contributor

Going through the same thing right now with Amazon. Thank goodness it's Amazon and their customer service is so good. My prime order was supposed to be delivered last Sunday. The tracking shows it was left in my mailbox but it wasn't. After I checked with all the neighbors, I contacted Amazon. They asked me to give it 48 hours. Still no package. This morning, they sent me a replacement, priority shipping at no extra cost to me, and extended my Prime membership one additional month for my trouble. Now that's how you give excellent customer service!! I'm sure the original package is at my local post office or on the truck somewhere.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

Well, yeahhhh....lol   You always insure a package that has anything of value in it.  Now, all you can do is do whatever the Post Office tells you to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have given up on the postal office here. I have had more packages lost or stolen.

the last one was from Nordstroms,they sent me out some make up I had ordered. The package was sent, tracking almost right up to the mail boxes in my development, when low-behold the package was mysteriously lost. contacted Nordstrom, they resent out what I had purchased.  We are now on week 2 going on 3 weeks of this box of make up I had ordered.  This box took close to 7 days to be delivered. I tracked the box right up to the mail box. Went to retrieve my one box when i look in the large mail bins to get my box of goodies, both boxes were  delivered.

there has been so many instances, for me,  that things have been lost or misplaced. you call them (the post office)  and all they can say is sorry, your package never arrived, you will have to put in a claim and we will begin our investigation which can take up to 6 months.  you just give up.  I am expecting another package today, wonder if i will get it.

Valued Contributor

Thanks ladies! It was shipped first class and tracking number was provided. The pkg made it to the state the buyer lives in. Just not to her door. 
My PO is worthless. I've gone to the main PO in the city next door. They weren't much help either. 

I've called the PO where the tracking ended. They are clueless.

Priority is covered automatically, first class is not. 
I asked all 3 PO's that I talked to had I put insurance on the pkg would I be reimbursed.

All 3 PO's said, well, it depends.

Depends on what? 

No one could give me a straight answer! 

PO is becoming like the weather man/woman. Rarely right and still have a job.
I'm chalking this one up to this is what happens when you live in Poe-Dunk-Ville!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I am going thru this now

I am on the receiving end of a ebay purchase.  I did not get the package & the tracking says it was delivered to my mailbox.  It was delivered first class.  I live in an apartment where there are 12 other boxes they fill & they are small.

I saw the postal carrier yesterday & it did not get in someone elses empty box.

I left a note to all neighbors if they got it by mistake, nothing

I didn't pay attention to the tracking until a week went by & I thought "where is my blush?",,, my mistake to not be right on it

WATCH YOUR TRACKING so you can follow-up that day or next day

I am going to the post office today as I see the tracking was time stamped at 4:20 & that is really late delivery, delivery here is around 2:30, so i suspect it went to someone else

Trusted Contributor

Also I will add, if I got someone eles's package by mistake I would return to the real owner, I think there will always be some bad apples who would  keep the packages