Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I've liked to read about Antonella's horse(s?) and she has shown pictures on her blog.

@Dusty1

thats so sweet about your Jay and SO PabloSmiley Happy

I didn't realize Antonella has horses.  I think Dan H. does, too.  

Super Contributor

Re: Any Horse Owners here?

[ Edited ]

Love watching gaited horses!   I've owned shetland ponies, half arab and full arabs.  We showed at the Arabian Horse shows, though I've helped out my cousins when they should at open shows or quarter horse shows, and have helped groom for friends at Dressage shows. 

I've been riding since I was 5....so awhileSmiley Happy  but it's been awhile since I've been on a horse.  Can't imagine what I would look like.

I've never ridden a Spotted Saddle horse but one of my cousins had a Tennessee Walker and he was so comfortable to ride. 

I miss the stress release of being with  horses and am always envious of those that get to ride.

Super Contributor

Re: Any Horse Owners here?

[ Edited ]

@Kalli  I had to look up what a Spotted Saddle horse was I wasn't familiar with the breed.  Very pretty looking horses.  Love the sleek lines and long necks.  I bet yours is a beauty.

Respected Contributor

Hi guys, we have four horses: a bay saddlebred/arab cross, a 1/2 tennessee walking horse (a black and white tobiano pinto), a sorrel cob and our newest is a blue roan blanket appaloosa. The pinto is mostly retired due to laminitis. We ride western and use circle y tack. Do not show, but are taking refresher riding lessons. We just got a new truck so we can start going to more trails. Horses are a huge committment of time, money and energy. I had a mule (half tennessee walking horse) who died sudenly at 35. Now he was a georgeous hoot. Most people thought he was a horse because he was black with white stockings....at least until they saw the foot long ears and very big head.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

fun thread!    started riding at 8 and got to own a Shetland pony at age 11 and then a horse.  i remember a school trip to NYC to see the Ringling Bros circus and when i came home my pony was waiting. a few years later the summer of 7th grade i got a horse. she came all the way to NY from Iowa and she was a sweetie.

i trained her to barrel race and we attended all the horse shows.  one season we won Winter Championship and received a huge trophy to add to the other trophies and ribbons.  my first boyfriend would borrow his sister's horse and we would ride trails all over the area.

when the major highway was finished most of the trails were blocked. my father sold them, he had enough of the expense. they went as a pair, they were inseparable. i was 15 and i cried for days. i could visit them in their new home anytime so that was a blessing.

if i could have a horse now i would  train to do Reining events. Reining requires a horse that is skilled and responsive. it takes discipline and the horse and rider work closely as a team. as a kid i was hell-bent for leather!  jumps and barrels and poles...loved it

Super Contributor

Hello, wow a horse thread! I have always loved horses, ever since I can remember. I am 47 now and have been lucky enough to have a horse for most of my life. I got my first horse when I was around 14 and I would barrel race and pole bend at the 4H shows. I had her bred and raised her filly myself. Star was my first horse she later died of old age and her filly I named Shadow. I Took Shadow with me to Meredith Manor Equestrian College where I learned show jumping, cross country and Dressage. We came home and I Barrel raced her for a while but then decided to retire her and buy another younger horse I named jetta lee, she had easy jet breeding. By now I was married and started Barrel racing at the local NBHA and IBRA shows. We did really good and qualified for the world show but I never went. I later lost both of these horses. I now have another Barrel horse I have had her for eight years and her name is Jetolena. For the past three years we have not been showing cause I had some family losses and my heart has been broken. But this is the year that I am feeling more like myself so I have already started to get her back in shape for what I hope is good year to introduce her and myself back into it again. I love trail riding also and mostly do that but shows are like a mini vacation for me and I love being away for a weekend with horse people. Yes they can be expensive but I have been fortunate enough to not have give up this passion yet, I never was able to have children so that has made it more easy for me to afford one. That was not a choice it is just what happened. Having a horse does give you a lot to do and gives you a good social network of other horse people to talk you, those two things have saved my life quite a few times and got me through difficult times, Every time I think of giving it up and selling all my horse stuff I have collected over the years, I just cant do it, Riding though the mountains on  a beautiful day does something for the soul that I dont ever want to live without unless I really have too. So yes I love horses!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kalli

Just my sis, but you already know her. Will be talking with her later today.

Hope your riding and all is going well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I grew up riding. My Dad was a true horseman so I was lucky enough to be around them all the time! As a kid I showed my horses and took home a few ribbons, but mostly just for the love of the animals was the reason we had them.

I took a break from it when I went to college then was lucky enough to meet a man who had a horse and I married him.

Together we owned horses up until 16 years ago when we sold out and moved to a lake.

I miss horses everyday! Nice thread!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@Kalli

i almost bought a horse years ago and then bought a dog instead.  i've never regretted my decisiion, but i do love horses!

Contributor

Great thread!  I started taking lessons last fall because my DH recently bought a Friesian and I wanted to be able to ride with him. I am 61 and although I have loved horses since I was a kid, I didn't have the opportunity to ride back then. I love everything about the experience, especially caring for the quarter horse I am currently leasing. They love to be groomed, watered and fed and it is a good workout to care for them! I am progressing with lessons and find that it is a very satisfying skill to learn.