Honored Contributor

Re: Another Ryan Lochte update...

@Miranda1550 wrote:

@Susan Louise

And Ryan will make a ton of money from DWTS.  

What about all the children who looked up to him?

DWTS should use better judgement.  

@Miranda1550

A ton of money, please!  I think the teeny minority that is so set against him making a living, before all the facts are known, are using bad judgement. Last I heard there seems to be part of that video, that edited out a gun being pointed at him. And then the ransom having to be paid for a passport?

And in Rio, such a crime free part of the world.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

He used poor judgment and lied to cover it up.  People make mistakes.  The part about covering it up by lying about it, is where the buck stops.  I don't think he should give back his medals, but he should own up to his mistakes and act like a grown up.  He's not a college kid on spring break.  

And the biggest lie(s) told to the biggest audience is, Ryan Lochte?  Riiite !!!!  People appear to be overlooking the/forest, and see only the tree.  

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@It's not that people want Lochte "drawn and quartered" @hckynut -- I think what a lot of people are objecting to (myself included) is that Lochte is immediately reaping rewards right after such egregious behavior.  He is not beyond redemption and hopefully he will grow up some day.... but I would like to see him do some "good" first -- give free swimming lessons to underprivileged children in his community, volunteer somewhere and let your PR person do the rest.  His actions right now and for the immediate future need to speak louder than his apology..... and his action of signing a multi-million dollar contract plus getting $$ for DWTS is not exactly redeeming oneself.

@SaRina

While I agree with parts of your post, I think those involved in Rio are skating free. I feel the city of Rio has blame in this seemingly endless story. Heard yesterday a gun was pointed at Ryan and those with him.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't understand why some of this is unclear for some folks.  They ripped down a sign, they kicked in the bathroom door, they trashed the bathroom, and they urinated on the side of the building - not necessarily in that order.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

His Olympics accomplishments have NOTHING to do with his transgressions.  I don't see where anybody is discounting what he has done in that regard.  But they don't supercede any bad deeds, either.

His  mistakes are another thing entirely.  He's obviously kind of an idiot and all that, but he knew better.  If he didn't - he should have.  He took bad behavior and made it worse by lying about it.

I don't watch DWTS, but I agree that they should pull him.   It kind of cracks me up, this one endorsement he has gotten.   Who has even heard of that company?    If they want to employ him, I don't begrudge them, or him, that.

Whatever work he can get is fine.   But anything that puts him in some kind of high regard is mistaken.

His accomplishments don't supercede his bad deed, and in a city that is known for it's crime and corruption?  Ok!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Miranda1550 wrote:

@Susan Louise

And Ryan will make a ton of money from DWTS.  

What about all the children who looked up to him?

DWTS should use better judgement.  

@Miranda1550

A ton of money, please!  I think the teeny minority that is so set against him making a living, before all the facts are known, are using bad judgement. Last I heard there seems to be part of that video, that edited out a gun being pointed at him. And then the ransom having to be paid for a passport?

And in Rio, such a crime free part of the world.

hckynut(john)

Again, you expect that it's ok for him to commit a crime because he did it in a crime filled society? @hckynut

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't understand why some of this is unclear for some folks.  They ripped down a sign, they kicked in the bathroom door, they trashed the bathroom, and they urinated on the side of the building - not necessarily in that order.

Spoiled boy from the States should have been treated with kid gloves.  NOT!

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@It's not that people want Lochte "drawn and quartered" @hckynut -- I think what a lot of people are objecting to (myself included) is that Lochte is immediately reaping rewards right after such egregious behavior.  He is not beyond redemption and hopefully he will grow up some day.... but I would like to see him do some "good" first -- give free swimming lessons to underprivileged children in his community, volunteer somewhere and let your PR person do the rest.  His actions right now and for the immediate future need to speak louder than his apology..... and his action of signing a multi-million dollar contract plus getting $$ for DWTS is not exactly redeeming oneself.

@SaRina

While I agree with parts of your post, I think those involved in Rio are skating free. I feel the city of Rio has blame in this seemingly endless story. Heard yesterday a gun was pointed at Ryan and those with him.

hckynut(john)

I have little doubt there is enough blame to go all around and perhaps some underhanded dealings....... I don't believe we will ever know the whole true story.  However..... none of this would have happened had Lochte not acted so stupidly.

The man has a lot of growing up to do and needs to get his priorities straight.  I am one who strongly believes "you" cannot separate athletes' achievements in the field from their personal behavior.  A person's personal attributes are also important in creating a champion.  JMO.

Honored Contributor

I think some Americans, especialy probably the ones who have not travelled extensively, don't realize that when you're in another country you play by their rules.    

There's no 'I'm American.  I have rights'.   I have actually heard that, while in another country!    SMH big time over the entitled attitude of folks like that.  They are an embarrassment.  They think they can do whatever they want and be protected from their bad deeds because they are American.  

When you are in another country you DO represent this one.  That's just the way it is.  If you think that it's ok to go around destroying property and defiling property because you think that they aren't worthy of being treated how you would want to be treated, you are wrong.