Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Ryan Lochte update...

@Reba055 wrote:

What about the investigation by USA investigative reporters?  

@Reba055

@hckynut

Good question Reba...I posted this on another Lochte thread on the forums...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olym...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

This is JMO on the situation : I am not saying what Lochte and the 3 other swimmers did to the gas station was right.They were probably so drunk that the security guards looked like police to them with their dark uniforms and guns drawn. We will probably never know why he decided to go on national TV and talk about this. What he should have done is after his head cleared, state that he was too drunk to realize that the men were security guards, and not police (if that was the case), and apologize for their behavior. What all 4 fail to understand is that they are in a foreign country for the Olympics representing the United States. Just who do they think they are acting that way in the first place? Should there be some repercussion from the USOC? Possibly, but give up their medals? No. They were not caught cheating or doping, just being stupid.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@Reba055

@hckynut

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olym...

@MacDUFF

Thanks for posting that link.  What I would like to know is what happened to the money the swimmers had to hand over to the security guards befor they were allowed to leave.   Seems to me that the money given far exceeded the cost of the sign!

Trusted Contributor

I certainly don't condone his behavior but I also think there is still more to this story.  One article I saw (don't know if true or not) said there are 3 minutes "missing" from the videotape at that gas station at the time of the incident.  And while I don't condone vandalism, public drunkeness, or urinating in public, that same article said the initial reports that they had destroyed or severely vandalized that bathroom were incorrect.  He pulled a poster off a wall and that was all.  Again I can't verify this.  

There was also speculation that there was a security guard who DID point a gun at them right after they got into the taxi and asked for money (a sort of bribe which wouldn't be unusual in that country) to let them leave.  That would explain why their cell phones and other items weren't taken, just their cash.

With all that said, he is an adult who acts like an immature child like a lot of other athletes who think they can get away with anything.  He clearly lied and certainly embellished the story to draw attention from his behavior.  He disgraced himself, his team , and country.   I enjoy all kinds of sports, but there are a lot of athletes who have been treated like primadonnas their whole lives and I for one, am tired of their antics. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The person that was the most upset by all of this was....Al Roker. Smiley LOL

https://youtu.be/oHfbo7AwASI

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@Reba055

@hckynut

@MacDUFF

Thanks for posting that link.  What I would like to know is what happened to the money the swimmers had to hand over to the security guards befor they were allowed to leave.   Seems to me that the money given far exceeded the cost of the sign!

We'll never know the truth about this.  Just as I'll never know where the money went, when "police" in a small Mexican town pulled over my husband and me, and claimed he went against a red light.  When you're in some foreign countries...if you get pulled over...you give them some money or they don't let you go on your way.

I don't rent cars in foreign countries anymore.  I only travel with tour groups.

Esteemed Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

There was also speculation that there was a security guard who DID point a gun at them right after they got into the taxi and asked for money (a sort of bribe which wouldn't be unusual in that country) to let them leave.  That would explain why their cell phones and other items weren't taken, just their cash.

@scotnovel There were no "speculations" about someone pulling a gun on them.  That was verified as truthful.  It did happen.  My question for you is So what if?  Are we privy to what police protocols are in Brazil?  They were being detained after they learned of the vandalism.  Since when are Americans not familiar with guns when crimes are committed?

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@Reba055

@hckynut

@MacDUFF

We'll never know the truth about this.  Just as I'll never know where the money went, when "police" in a small Mexican town pulled over my husband and me, and claimed he went against a red light.  When you're in some foreign countries...if you get pulled over...you give them some money or they don't let you go on your way.

I don't rent cars in foreign countries anymore.  I only travel with tour groups.

It wasn't a sign.  It was a door they busted down in a bathroom.  Have you seen the video all over the internet?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

He should pull out of DWTS. 

@bri20

Really? Should he leave the country to satisfy the small minority that seem to forget, he did have a gun pointed at him? 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
QVC Customer Care