Respected Contributor

Re: Another NFL abuse allegation

On 9/18/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 9/18/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/18/2014 biancardi said:

This is getting out of hand. Domestic violence is a prevalent problem and cuts across socioeconomic, cultural, and racial lines; it affects people from many communities and occupations. It occurs in a variety of ways and on a variety of levels of seriousness. It seems to me that this is a problem for individual families, communities, and if need be, law enforcement and the courts to handle. I'm not sure why the NFL should be monitoring or enforcing healthy family dynamics for its players. Let the legal process run its course. If players are convicted of criminal acts, then the league can take action.

The NFL has an image to keep up - they cannot have it ruined. This is a business problem as well, as it would be interesting to see the statistics on domestic violence within the NFL vs other sports.

It is not a problem for individual families and communities. Domestic abuse is a CRIME. It should be treated as such.

Isn't that what I just said? If there are charges of domestic violence, let law enforcement and the courts do their work. If an NFL player is convicted of a crime, his employer can take action. I don't see the wisdom of an employer taking action against an employee for domestic issues when the case hasn't been heard and the person has not yet been convicted of a crime. Premature, and too much emphasis on an emotional or public relations response rather than getting to the bottom of the story, establishing the facts, and trying the case.

Most employers will fire someone IMMEDIATELY for being arrested. Why should the NFL be any different?

We had a case in Buffalo where a guy fell out of the balcony at a Bills game and landed on another fan. He was drunk & horsing around. Both men were injured.

He was fired the very next morning from his job at an ad agency.

I guess I can see the rationale when some violent or irresponsible behavior has multiple witnesses like the incident you cited above or a video is publicly released like the one of the football player knocking out his fiancee in an elevator. Those kinds of events sort of speak for themselves and reflect negatively on an organization. But some of the cases coming up now are situations where accusations are being made, but need to be investigated and proven. The "innocent till proven guilty" principle is pretty important.

Domestic abuse, if substantiated and proven, reflects negatively on the individual and the organization. But I'd think it also reflects negatively on an organization if they fire or discipline employees for unproven allegations.

I think in the Rice case, since it was caught on tape, there is no alleged about it.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

Dr Phil is having a Phield day with this story right now! It's todays show.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Preds said:

you know, I was hoping that the one thing that could have come out of the murder of Nicole Simpson was this dirty hidden secret of spousal abuse.

20 years later....nothing changes. People think it should be a family and community matter when it is a crime. one way these cowards will stop their spousal abuse is if they have to do time for their crime... Another way is to stop blaming the victim and stop thinking it is a "family" matter, because it isn't. Women and children are not the property of men anymore and it should not be hidden

perhaps that is the reason why men don't report spousal abuse when it happens to them - because if a centuries old, documented problem such as wife beating is still swept under the rug, why would they think that reporting their abuse would help?

I've seen the attitudes and comments about it and I am still SMH at some of the thinking about spousal abuse.

Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
Honored Contributor

Men are afraid to report it, woman are afraid to report it. It's such a hidden crime that, how do you work to prevent it? Even children, because they see it, live it, feel it and it's "normal" to them. It's only when it becomes public that people become involved and upset.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

Its a nightmare! So disgusting!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Preds said:

Men are afraid to report it, woman are afraid to report it. It's such a hidden crime that, how do you work to prevent it? Even children, because they see it, live it, feel it and it's "normal" to them. It's only when it becomes public that people become involved and upset.

exactly. It needs to be brought out in the open. I hope people will not stop talking about it after this wave dies down, like it did after the trial of OJ

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 spindlegirl said:
On 9/17/2014 mstyrion said:
On 9/17/2014 hckynut said:

I heard on a news broadcast that the percentage of NFL players involved in domestic violence against their partner or spouse is much lower than it is in society in general.

Now I see that as food for thought.

Those were likely old stats done when the abuse wasn't reported and/or covered up by the teams..

I have a feeling that's all going to change.

Agree. So much new info coming to light. How could anybody take that as a real statistic right now?{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Sadly, I suspect many wives and girlfriends of professional,celebrity athletes take a good deal of abuse. Some just can't break the cycle of abuse. Others won't leave because of the money, perks etc....

Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Preds said:

I dvr'd that show and watched.

I think it was very good and informative.