Honored Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I just joined for free after seeing the ads on TV. I was having trouble with my carpeting. It was buckling in certain areas and I need to find someone to come and stretch it. Well I called and they sent me an e-mail with a few names. Well there was only co. that does this. They were very friendly and they did a beautiful job on my carpet. I also had the carpet cleanced. Very pleased. Will use them again. 

@hovis Who is "them"?  Angie's List or the carpet company?

Honored Contributor

I know someone who joined a number of years ago when you had to pay.  She found someone to do some patio work for her.  The guy did a phenomenal job but she thought something was a little off when everytime someone who was delivering a product for him needed to be paid and his wife showed up with the money.

About a week after the job was done and he was paid, he came knocking on her door about 10:00 at night asking for money.  He claimed he was nearly out of gas and had to drive 15 miles to pick up his daughter.  When she told him she didn't have any money he suggested she go to the ATM and withdraw some and he'd follow her.  She told him no and shut the door on him.

About a week later, he came back and she wasn't home.  Her neighbor was outside so he asked her for money, giving her the exact same story.  She also told him no.  When my friend got home and the neighbor told him about that, my friend called his wife and she said "oh, he must be drinking again. I'm so sorry. That's why he could never have the money to pay anyone."  He never showed up at her house again.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I know someone who joined a number of years ago when you had to pay.  She found someone to do some patio work for her.  The guy did a phenomenal job but she thought something was a little off when everytime someone who was delivering a product for him needed to be paid and his wife showed up with the money.

About a week after the job was done and he was paid, he came knocking on her door about 10:00 at night asking for money.  He claimed he was nearly out of gas and had to drive 15 miles to pick up his daughter.  When she told him she didn't have any money he suggested she go to the ATM and withdraw some and he'd follow her.  She told him no and shut the door on him.

About a week later, he came back and she wasn't home.  Her neighbor was outside so he asked her for money, giving her the exact same story.  She also told him no.  When my friend got home and the neighbor told him about that, my friend called his wife and she said "oh, he must be drinking again. I'm so sorry. That's why he could never have the money to pay anyone."  He never showed up at her house again.    

Sounds awful.  The Heroin problem where I live plays a big part in my inability to get qualified and trustworthy contractors.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Sounds awful.  The Heroin problem where I live plays a big part in my inability to get qualified and trustworthy contractors.

Trying to find someone is horrible. We just went through it.  We worked with a locally owned business for designing and buying tiles for our shower.  They gave me a list of contractors.  They all charged 3 to 4 times the amount we were told they would charge by the designer, many of them were over an hour away so they had no interest in coming to our home for such a "small" job and they were all very lax in returning calls, etc.  It was a nightmare.  I called a number of local companies and they either didn't return calls or made appointments to come give us an estimate and never showed up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva it's really difficult to find good people near me also.  I have someone that has done some kitchen work for me but he charges a ton of money.  I trust him but it costs me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Trying to find someone is horrible. We just went through it.  We worked with a locally owned business for designing and buying tiles for our shower.  They gave me a list of contractors.  They all charged 3 to 4 times the amount we were told they would charge by the designer, many of them were over an hour away so they had no interest in coming to our home for such a "small" job and they were all very lax in returning calls, etc.  It was a nightmare.  I called a number of local companies and they either didn't return calls or made appointments to come give us an estimate and never showed up. 

@Lipstickdiva, it is.  A company that would change prices so many times would get kicked out of my home.  It's hard where I live.  Some that are listed have no actual working numbers, they don't have a website.

I want to get my driveway done in concrete and had about 4 of them come out and give me estimates.  All in my immediate area because hauling concrete from further distances would cost me more.  None of them were going to do it to code.  Not one.  On top of them not wanting to do it up to code, they wanted you to pay prices like they would be.  Why in the world would I let you just pour concrete without the proper prep and support?

I told them to get lost and haven't had my driveway done yet.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I think Angie's list will charge a fee in the future.  There are going to be a group of services for each category of membership; maybe the basic membership will be free but I'm not sure.

I belong now but when they started changing the search options it became useless.  I would get results from different states and very few were local companies.  They also only provided a small number of results.  All the changes ruined it for me.   I rarely use it now because of this.  I've had a bad experience with a tree service with A ratings and a good experience with an electrician. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I think Angie's list will charge a fee in the future.  There are going to be a group of services for each category of membership; maybe the basic membership will be free but I'm not sure.

I belong now but when they started changing the search options it became useless.  I would get results from different states and very few were local companies.  They also only provided a small number of results.  All the changes ruined it for me.   I rarely use it now because of this.  I've had a bad experience with a tree service with A ratings and a good experience with an electrician. 

@Snoopp, this is probably why its free now.  They may eventually Tier it!  That's my thinking too.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

You're better off checking Yelp and/or google the companies' names. I also use a local community site called NextDoor.com. Great advice. How could Angie's List refer people they have no idea about. How do they check them out???? Sounds like they think they could put some names together and people will pay.

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

You're better off checking Yelp and/or google the companies' names. I also use a local community site called NextDoor.com. Great advice. How could Angie's List refer people they have no idea about. How do they check them out???? Sounds like they think they could put some names together and people will pay.

I do use Yelp!  I don't want to rely on that alone, though it does help.  Yelp is really good for some stuff, but when you're talking about hiring someone to do thousands of dollars worth of work in your home, Yelp ain't enough.

*Call Tyrone*