Valued Contributor

Re: Angelina Jolie Files for Divorce from Brad Pitt

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

When looking for meaning we can look to context.

The term "waspy" was used within a string if insulting comments.  I'd say the odds are that term also was not meant in a kind way.

New York Post Quote: In context-

"As a pre-millennial starlet, Jolie was unlike any of her peers. She was in stark opposition to the arch, cosmopolitan WASP-iness of Gwyneth Paltrow"

In contrast to the Jolie comparison-Yes, Gwyneth is very cosmopolitan and appears physically to be very "waspy" in her appearance.  A seemingly  neglected aspect of the "connotation."  She is slight of build, blond, fair skinned and has very delicate features.

A direct contrast to the comparison of Jolie's rather Goth appearance at the time-I fail to see how that is disparaging or a slight-

I highly doubt, as sophisticated as Gwyneth is, she would be upset by the description-especially taking into consideration; her father's heritage, individuals she is surrounded by (her NY hamlet residence especially) and where and how she lives her life.  She might even be amused....But, who can say....

While it doesn't suit the writers style, perhaps the author should have used "preppy" in place of "waspy." Less divisive-but then, it wouldn't be the NY Post-

Moving on now.....the weather is too beautiful to be restrained by walls.....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  I have to agree with you Pearley.  I did read the entire article and it seems to be leaning toward her hypocrisy more so than anything else.  Specifically, the author cited instances whereby she had an absolute lock down on any news that did not originate from her.  And this was because she had no PR person.  I had also read in a previous article that there was a Nanny for each of the children along with a cook.  All the staff had to sign strict confidentiality agreements with severe consequences.  As I said earlier, this will be ugly.

Oh and I might add, I have been called worse names that the ones mentioned in the article.  I think AJ has a very, very tough skin.......

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@Pearlee  I have to agree with you Pearley.  I did read the entire article and it seems to be leaning toward her hypocrisy more so than anything else.  Specifically, the author cited instances whereby she had an absolute lock down on any news that did not originate from her.  And this was because she had no PR person.  I had also read in a previous article that there was a Nanny for each of the children along with a cook.  All the staff had to sign strict confidentiality agreements with severe consequences.  As I said earlier, this will be ugly.

Oh and I might add, I have been called worse names that the ones mentioned in the article.  I think AJ has a very, very tough skin.......

My opinion of her has changed.  I still don't think she broke BP's marriage up.  I think that was a marriage already broken up--but heck..I don't know.

I think AJ is calculating and I don't think BP abused his child --at all.  Heck, we were spanked if we were terrible as children--and my parents did an awesome job raising 9 children.  If were were out of control, we'd get spanked.  I don't remember it occuring often, but I do remember a couple of times.

I think she's out for blood!   I'm team BP!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I hope Brangelina are able to reconcile and reunite, for the children's sake if no other reason.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I think she's out for blood!   I'm team BP!

@winamac1 To put in a vial and wear around her neck?  Bwwwahhhhaaa

Respected Contributor

If you have to call in a private investigator, you probably already know the answer.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Classy comment on the situation from Justin Theroux, Aniston's husband:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,21032535,00.html

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee

That was classy of him.

Sad to think that people are trying to drag Jennifer into the divorce drama.  I guess some people have no lives.

Regular Contributor

When the news broke OMG everyone, every tv show had their take on it; now it's old news. Think it's all publicity.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fun tidbit...maybe

Okay, last night I was in the bath without my remote and Bravo was on the screen-don't know why-but, Inside the Actors Studio program begins-I had never seen the program. No remote...no choice...

Guess who?  Yup, Brad Pitt--

He walks onto the stage with an audience filled full of young acting students-handsome, smiling and healthy-engaging the audience from the moment he appeared-I was captivated.  He was animated, funny, bright, open, beyond intriguing-I was mesmerized-and a bit embarrassed all alone in my bath, suddenly feeling sad for his entire family situation-LOL....rolling eyes.....

He was asked what his favorite sound was-his response, without missing a beat came naturally: the sound of his baby breathing while asleep-when the audience responds with a loud awwwwww....he turns to them and remarks; you'll understand when you're a parent-it was obvious it was profoundly felt-

The next question was the opposite.  What was his least favorite sound?  He responded by stating, he has a friend of 23 years he speaks with daily-who has a very bad habit of making "chomping" sounds into the phone.  He said he loved her, hated the sound!

For about an hour, I wondered to myself, "Why does she make that sound?"

His dialogue at the end with the young audience, was well, moving and genuine while giving young students advice on playing rolls and believing in themselves-

If you have an interest, I see you can view the episodes on youtube-That episode was from 2013, I believe. Another with Angelina as well, (mentioned) for the die hard fans-Though I've not viewed it-a good cold winter night watch...I think......