Respected Contributor

I want to have my granddog's DNA done.  Has anyone had any success or a positive experience with this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestry DNA testing

[ Edited ]

@fortune wrote:

I want to have my granddog's DNA done.  Has anyone had any success or a positive experience with this?

There are a zillion kits when you google, starting between $40-60, so cheaper than for a human ;-)

Try googling "best dog DNA" and read up.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Just wanted to add something here:

The DNA testing service I found meaningless and bizarre is called ConnectMy DNA. Complete waste of $$. They do not test your DNA for ancestry/ethnicity - they test it for migration patterns(!) And it was still totally wrong, lol. According to them, the vast, vast majority of people who share my DNA now live in Central and South America.  Riiight. Central and So America is chock full of (literally) millions of folks who emigrated from the UK, Ireland and Sweden.  NOT. Save your money with that company.

Esteemed Contributor

Several yrs ago National Geographic offered a service where you could trace you ancestors migration from Africa (where everyone originates) through out the world. We moved in clans or superclans as they called the larger ones. We found our ancestors migration pattern from Africa throughout the world. I found that very interesting. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Several yrs ago National Geographic offered a service where you could trace you ancestors migration from Africa (where everyone originates) through out the world. We moved in clans or superclans as they called the larger ones. We found our ancestors migration pattern from Africa throughout the world. I found that very interesting. 

I know about that test, and agree it could be interesting. The test I described is basically telling you zero except supposedly where the greatest concentration of people with your DNA live today. Just today. That's all they tell you. 

Honored Contributor

Does any one watch finding your roots,on pbs? That would really be nice ,if one could afford that type.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I know about that test, and agree it could be interesting. The test I described is basically telling you zero except supposedly where the greatest concentration of people with your DNA live today. Just today. That's all they tell you. 

Yeah and I was fine with just knowing that. It was free. Probably not something I would have paid for but for free, it was fine.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 Wow you gotthe Nat Geo test for free? LastI checked the sale price was $150.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 Wow you gotthe Nat Geo test for free? LastI checked the sale price was $150.

Yes, it was before it was offered to the public and my husband is friends with an executive that worked for Nat Geo at the time. 

JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Yes, it was before it was offered to the public and my husband is friends with an executive that worked for Nat Geo at the time. 

Lucky you! I would like to do it, and/or a mtDNA test, but since I already have results I'm good with I can't justify the price of more testing for myself. Since I don't have any male relative/paternal DNA to view against, there isn't much more I can find out until in future they develop more tests.  I don't know that mtDNA would tell me a whole lot more, but I might go for that at some point.