Honored Contributor

Amazon Experience- maybe you should know........

[ Edited ]

I shop Amazon quite a bit, and so I do know that prices can fluctuate from day to day.

LAST NIGHT- I saw an item on Amazon that was priced at $99.99.

THIS MORNING- same item is priced at $129.99 with a Cyber Monday DISCOUNT of $30.

Boo-hiss!

Edies to add- I'm NOT buying.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Experience- maybe you should know........

It's not the first time I've heard this about Amazon and CyberMonday.

Home Depot does it too on Black Friday.

Honored Contributor

@violannYep -   they, and many others in that industry, know that it's the illusion of a deal that brings in buyers - it's not just the deal itself.

Many of the items buyers will get "deals" on today were brought into inventory with the intent to sell most of them at the deal price.  Here and there some buyers with itchy fingers paid more, but the vast majority buy the so-called deal.  Might as well if it's something you really want or need, but we need to realize what the gimmicks do to our buying habits.

Just read a quick financial news article on Amazon Prime buyers.  that's who Amazon wants because Prime members spend far more than people who just click into Amazon to buy a specific item.  They want to take over the retail world --and it's working!  Hate to see what that will mean 20 years from now -  not that I excpect to live to find out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchase a ton from them, but the one thing I hate is how the prices are always so up and down. I always compare prices at other websites or stores as Amazon is also known for highly inflating the so called retail price above reality so it appears you're getting a better deal than you are. I did save 50% off the true retail a couple weeks ago on a lightening deal but other items you really aren't saving. Or the item is often on sale for a similar price.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

A similar thing happened to me. I put an item in my Amazon shopping cart, but didn't check out.  The next day, the price increased by $10.  I deleted the item from my cart.  Two days later, the price dropped by $10 - to the original price.  I never checked out, because I felt these were deceptive tactics by Amazon.

Some of my friends have had the same experience with Amazon. They are losing customers with their deceptive practices.

Esteemed Contributor

Macy's did it on BF, too.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband has a PhD in accounting and finance and taught those subjects for many years. He is convinced that Amazon will one day face some trouble for their creative accounting practices.

Respected Contributor

Love Amazon but you need to watch as their prices fluctuate. Many are 3rd party sellers and often Amazon fills them..

I know what each item goes for..and watch..

Just like sales in stores - you need to know and watch your prices.

I love Amazon..know what I am going to spend..love the 2-day Prime Shipping and their CS is the best.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon isn't going to go out of business. Sorry folks. They are a multi-Billion dollar company. Don't like Amazon? There is a plethora of other shopping sites. Good luck finding one that operates exactly the way that you want it to. As for me, I do 90 - 95% of my shopping on Amazon, and will continue to do so.
Honored Contributor

Good job watching prices, Violann!  That's the thing - as others have mentioned, prices change on a dime.  I've seen prices change more than once in ONE  day!

What I do is put items in which I'm interested in my 'wish list' and watch the prices.   That's an easy way to keep track of a given product.  

Like Plaid Pants, I do the vast majority of my shopping at Amazon.   It's a great place to shop and their customer service is outstanding.

If I didn't buy it at the grocery store, I probably bought it at Amazon.  Smiley Happy