Esteemed Contributor

Amazon Data Breach Email

[ Edited ]

Amazon sent an email to an unknown number of customers informing them their account passwords had been reset after a data breach left customer’s passwords compromised, ZDNet reported Nov. 24.

In the email to customers, Amazon says it “recently discovered that your [Amazon] password may have been improperly stored on your device or transmitted to Amazon in a way that could potentially expose it to a third party.”

The retail giant states that although it has no reason to believe account passwords are in the hands of nefarious actors, it is reassigning passwords out of an “abundance of caution.” Customers are then directed to login with the temporary password from Amazon and create a new password.

MORE:  http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/25/amazon-data-breach-forces-mandatory-password-resets/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazon Data Breach Email

Interesting.  I shop at Amazon a TON, but did not receive the email.  I wonder if it was in a specific area of the country.

Esteemed Contributor

I did not get the email.  Are you sure it was not a scam to get  you to sign in and share your email.  I am suspicious.  Call Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I haven't received an email from them.....yet, but this was on our news today. Apparently it's legitimate. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I did not get the email.  Are you sure it was not a scam to get  you to sign in and share your email.  I am suspicious.  Call Amazon.

I did not receive an email.  I heard about this on a local news station when I went to look for more information I found the above linked article.

I primarily posted this notice so anyone that gets an email will know Amazon did discover a problem and sent emails.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I haven't received an email either.  I rarely click on email links and would not click on anything from Amazon.  I would verify the problem by contacting Customer Service.

Trusted Contributor

After reading this, it dawned on me that my password has been "stored" on the Amazon website for at least 4 years now.   I might need to change it, just in case, but I did not receive the email that the OP mentioned.  I shop there a good bit, as recently as last week.  Thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

I just signed into Amazon and I was not prompted to change my PW. I did see that something I wanted dropped 7%!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I shop on Amazon all the time and have not gotten the e-mail either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've been in and out of Amazon all day today (like I always do) and I haven't received any emails or prompts to change my password.