Respected Contributor

Re: All the horrific crimes on the news every day

@wilma wrote:

I think one of the reasons for an increase in crime is the increased use of drugs. I live in a medium sized city and there are so many shootings and robberies mainly related to drug deals gone bad or people needing money for their addictions. We also live in such a social media society now that we hear and see everything as it is happening. Back in the day we didn't get all this instant information overload which can be overwhelming and depressing. 

It will only get worse before it gets better.   We have a huge Heroin problem on Long Island, including my hometown. 

Until the insurance companies step up, there will be no help for these kids.....they are our future.  

We had a 22 year shot in a better area of my town yesterday.  Unheard of in this area  2 years ago.    I have no doubt it was drug related.

Technology has made it possible for us to have information overload.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

I certainly think we can have information overload.

I recieve an online news source that is local.  So, they have this "breaking news."  Something like "22 year old woman found dead in her home."  This is in the town adjacent to where I live.  Sounds alarming.

Then it goes on to say they have no idea yet how she died.  Well, that makes a big difference!!  Perhaps it was natural.  Even young people can die naturally!

How about waiting until you have the information before trying to scare people???

Hyacinth    Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Sad, sad times.  Yes, dr*gs that are 'way' too available to just about anyone, including teens.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Crime has found its way to our small town as well.  Seems crime in and around Atlanta is all over the news as of late.  Don't these families wonder what their little darlings are doing out so late, in a gang and their faces all over tv from the security cameras? 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Sad, sad times.  Yes, dr*gs that are 'way' too available to just about anyone, including teens.

The same is true about guns..."way too available to just about anyone, including teens."

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sad to say, many parents don't even ask where their teens are going, late at night, in and out of their houses.  The answer I get is that they wouldn't dare 'invade their privacy'.  It's a trend, not invading their teens' privacy, now-a-days.  Unfortunately, lots of bad things are happening because parents don't have a clue as to where their teens were last seen, where they planned to go and with whom.  I always had/have a kitchen clip board, letting folks know where they (and also I ) were/was going.  At the very least, the police would know where to search, just in case.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find it amazing when parents of those caught/arrested and it's on a security video, the mother always says, "That's not my child, I know for a fact he/she wouldn't do that."

I know times have changed but our parents knew where, when and times when we were growing up...  You weren't home on time, you caught he double L hockey sticks.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

The same is true about guns..."way too available to just about anyone, including teens."

I'll bet the perpetrators of the 53 injured and 5 killed in Chicago over the weekend all had legally licensed guns.

My daughter and I are going to take classes to obtain concealed carry licenses in Illinois.  I doubt we will be a danger to anyone unless they try to break in or hurt us.

I would be willing never to consider a gun if they were taken from criminals.  But, that's never going to be.  So, unlike people who have bodyguards but tell the rest of us not to protect ourselves, I don't feel safe anymore.

Hyacinth    Cat Sad

Honored Contributor

OMGosh..........I hadn't heard of that particular sh**ting in Chicago over the weekend...............

Honored Contributor

p.s.  Used to be (I don't know about now) the 'rich' folks would get on a plane and go shopping in Chicago.  They loved the shops, stores, ambience.  It is a beautiful city, from what I've seen online, in Images/photos.