Honored Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

I just discovered this magazine a little over a year ago, and I really enjoy it. I found it at Walmart, then our local grocery store started carrying it. I wondered why I hadn't seen it since Christmas. I stopped at Walmart on my way home today, and there it was! I was in a hurry, so I grabbed it. I got a big surprise when I unloaded the groceries and found out I'd bought a December issue!

So I googled it. It appears Time, Inc. shut it down for a number of reasons. The most important one is people aren't buying print magazines the way they used to. I still do. 

It was the first magazine to close under the tenure of the current CEO, who's been in charge 18 months. Instead, Time is buying "Hello Giggles," a social and media site aimed at millenial women. I should have known. They want to cater to the under 35 group. Smiley Tongue

Anyway, I really enjoyed this magazine. I can't believe it took me as long as it did to "discover" it! Did anyone else read it? 

So sorry for you @beach-mom for losing your new favourite magazine. That happened to me with one I had read for years. My mum, who passed years ago, had some favuorites from the UK that my aunt would send her. I came to liking them as well, so after she was done, she gave them on to me. Now all these years later, I have a cousin who sends me the few she can still find at their news stands. It's not as bad over there as it is here. And, some publishing houses will still print once popular editions that are not in print now, but digital. 

I say that because I'm wondering if you can find the puplisher, contact them and see if they are willing to send you a print edition. They often still run some copies for heir own archives and, if enough customers ask, they will do it. Worth a try?

good luck. ;-)

Thanks @Gemspirit! Since Time, Inc. owned this magazine, I doubt if it's published at all any longer. I glad you were able to get your magazines from the UK. When I taught in Japan, my mom would send me Glamour and Good Housekeeping. If I waited to buy an English edition there, it was already two months old! 

I know a lot of people get magazines on their Nooks or Kindles, or something else, but I still enjoy sitting down and relaxing with one or two in PRINT! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes, I liked it a lot, too.  I did have a subscription to it.  Mine had just run out and I was debating on getting it because of the cost.  Then, I read where it was being discontinued.  I was sad because it was a nice, wholesome magazine and had many interesting things in it.  Another one to bite the dust!  I, for one, love magazines and do buy them.  I know many think they are a waste of money but I don't.  When I am done with them, I always pass them on and others enjoy them as well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@beach-mom~ I agree with you totally. Those editions I recieve are at least a month old from the UK. When you mentioned Japan, it made me think back many years. When I was pregnant and very naive, (we spent 10 months in The Phillipines~just before I gave birth to my son, now 34 yrs., old!).

My mom sent me the magazines I loved and read normally, every month. It cost her a dear penney!  It was during Martial  Law with Marcos still in Power. It was quite frightening at times.  But, we also met the most lovelyyd people and saw things in the countryside I never would have ever had the chance to see otherwise.  

I think we were there 10 months (supposed to be 2 years!). I remember we only received two monthly parcels from my mom! And, it was very dear! I'm also old fashioned, I enjoy holding a magazine or book. Actually reading it! I also take forever writing greetings, holiday or greeting cards. 

I do a few non fiction books on my tablet. And it's two fold~I already own a lot. Too many! But, when going thru our home, where we raised our children in, now that they are both married, we feel torn as to whether we will stay or look to sell. My mum and I used to read books, especially cookbooks and then try out recipes and, leave one another notes of what we thought in any books...but especially the re pies! I guess we were the first tiny book club!!

Respected Contributor

I'm afraid we'll see more and more of this. If you are a fan of magazines but want to cut down on the clutter, consider the app "Texture". It has all the magazines for a monthly subscription. I have had it for a long time and love it. 

Regular Contributor

Yes, this was one of my favorite magazines that I subscribe to and I recently found out that Dec. was the last issue. Very sad.

Honored Contributor

I just looked and my subscription was supposed to last until May.  I wonder how many people lost money for paid for subscriptions that ended early.