Honored Contributor

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

[ Edited ]

It's that time again and Saturday morning at about 7am (MDT), they'll be up, up, and away.  Nobody gets more excited about this than us locals.   Everyone is just atwitter about it.  It's so much fun for everybody.   I no longer get in the huge traffic mess and try to actually go, but prefer to lie in bed and watch it on TV.  I still get a thrill out if watching them. 

If anyone wants to see this event, it is streamed live by two local TV stations KOB TV and KOAT TV.  You can "google" either, click on the website and you're there.  It's absolutely spectacular.   Kids would love it.  I think KOB streams it live every morning of the event, which lasts 10 days.  A couple mornings, they feature the "special shapes".  The only thing that might cancel the day's events is the wind.

20191003_191621.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

We've been there!! Those balloons are beautiful and noisey as they gracefully lift off and float away. There are always a couple who dip or land (with problems) and sightseers go after them, but by that time, the balloon is back in the air! It's such fun. How I'd love to be able to go again and again. Enjoy them from your home, Kachina!! I'm so envious of your location for so many reasons (not just this one). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • We usually see a couple of balloons whenever we are in Albuquerque but the one year we went for the big liftoff it was cancelled due to wind.  Several of the balloonists who were packing up that day were going to go to Gallup as an alternative; they also have a balloon fest in the beginning of December.  We may go to that as it's half as far as Albuquerque.
Honored Contributor

1#aballon.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I would LOVE to see this in person. I will probably make it to one in North Carolina tho.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Regular Contributor

We were there in 2016 and loved it.  We had Gondola Club tickets for 3 sessions.  During the 1st session on Weds the weather was perfect and almost every balloon went up and over our heads.  The next session was a little windy and about 1/2 of the balloons went up.  The last session was almost cancelled, but, after a few hours a few ballloons went up.  

We loved the trip Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624   We arrived in Albuquerque today.  (Thanks again for your help about the weather!)  We are going to the Balloon Festival on Saturday.  Fingers crossed about the wind.  We had a fabulous dinner tonight at Antiquity.  The weather today was absolutely beautiful.  Wonderful first day of our trip!

Honored Contributor

@judy0330.  It's supposed to rain tonight and into the morning tomorrow as we've been getting remnants from a tropical storm in Mexico.  The weatherman swear it'll clear off by Saturday morning.  It's very rare for us to have rain the the morning so don't despair.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Used to love there; worked the festival twice...I sure miss it now!

Honored Contributor

Bees!

Bees!

Bees!

Bees!

Bees!

My personal favorites...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~