Valued Contributor

lincoln.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I just read that article. Wow and double wow!! That surprised me. The whole thing is a surprise that it ever happened!!

Sexual harassment is all too common in some work environments, so none of it surprised me at all. 

And that's probably the saddest statement I'll make all day.  I wish I could be surprised by this, but my own experiences and those of my friends tell me not to be. One of my friends works in an office rampant with both racism and misogyny and her complaints have gone nowhere. She doesn't want to sue over it because she needs the job and working there with a lawsuit in progress would be even worse.

@ChynnaBlue- I handled employee conflict which included sexual harrassment and hostile workplace.  I really advice your friend to take action....it is against the law to retaliate.  She should check her employee handbook for the process in her Company.  She also may report to the EEOC, locally or federal; they too will tell her to go forward without fear of retaliation....that also includes lack of promotion or poor performance evaluations.  No woman or man need to endure such conditions today in the USA.  She doesn't have to sue. 

I have, @Stray. But the fact that retaliation is against the law doesn't mean it does not happen. These people are clearly not aware of or don't care about the existing laws about harassment or they wouldn't be making racist and sexist comments in the first place. And then she would have to document and endure that, as well while it all got sorted. The office she works in has no HR representative, either. The only HR reps are located in another office far away from her location.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

40 million, eh?  I guess it's not hurting him too badly.  SMH

They had to pay him something.  He did build this network. He does leave under a cloud, not as Giant in broadcasting. 

@Nuttmeg

I understand what you're saying ... but that was what he was hired to do.   He was doing his job and was getting paid at the time.     I'm betting he even got generous bonuses, too.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ailes Out at Fox?

[ Edited ]

I worked in a large corporation and was sexually harassed by a superior.....who apparently was into sexually harassing many other women there.  He was a big earner for the company and probably thought he was untouchable for that reason.  I initiated a complaint and painstakingly rounded up 10 other women to join me.  The man was fired.  Of course, I subsequently "lost" my job.  They weren't stupid -- the reason given to me?  Downsizing.  So there was nothing I could prove or disprove.  That's okay.  I did what I had to and wasn't sorry. The man found a job at another large firm.  Hopefully, he learned his lesson.  He probably had to lie to his wife about being fired.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

If Roger was innocent of these allegations then why would he leave such a high powered job? He'll never have so much power again, who's going to hire him? 

uh, he would be hired as a consultant easily -  he has his finger on the pulse of a certain market profile that is quite lucrative  -  even at age 76.  personally   i was never a fan of Carlson -  very opinionated and at times testy.  now she may have a problem getting hired, i'm guessing. but we'll see.  i didn't hear anything about her getting a settlement.  but that may be premature.

@ms traditional  Right.  This is part of the "departure agreement" I had read was being worked out, but can't remember where I read it.

That's what they always say when someone hight up the food chain is fired.

He isn't consulting anyone - in fact, he is barred from the premises.

Why do you insist that he didn't get the boot?

Esteemed Contributor
Ailes ain't the only one that may be out of a job.

He made a career and a network that has been allowed to lie. To be able to exploit the 1st amendment's right to free speech and allow it to lie and distort the right to a free press. He has been a shill and a pig that uses women for his own gross, ugly gratification and his viewership.
Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I just read that article. Wow and double wow!! That surprised me. The whole thing is a surprise that it ever happened!!

Sexual harassment is all too common in some work environments, so none of it surprised me at all. 

And that's probably the saddest statement I'll make all day.  I wish I could be surprised by this, but my own experiences and those of my friends tell me not to be. One of my friends works in an office rampant with both racism and misogyny and her complaints have gone nowhere. She doesn't want to sue over it because she needs the job and working there with a lawsuit in progress would be even worse.

@ChynnaBlue- I handled employee conflict which included sexual harrassment and hostile workplace.  I really advice your friend to take action....it is against the law to retaliate.  She should check her employee handbook for the process in her Company.  She also may report to the EEOC, locally or federal; they too will tell her to go forward without fear of retaliation....that also includes lack of promotion or poor performance evaluations.  No woman or man need to endure such conditions today in the USA.  She doesn't have to sue. 

I have, @Stray. But the fact that retaliation is against the law doesn't mean it does not happen. These people are clearly not aware of or don't care about the existing laws about harassment or they wouldn't be making racist and sexist comments in the first place. And then she would have to document and endure that, as well while it all got sorted. The office she works in has no HR representative, either. The only HR reps are located in another office far away from her location.

@ChynnaBlue- I really don't know what she did or didn't do but they do have a published harrassment policy; she didn't follow that.  Today, with global businesses, it's not odd not to have an HR person and an HR person doesn't always handle these matters or at his level but there is usually an onbudsperson, EAP counselor or online process to report inpropriety.  I know retaliation still happens but men are well educated today as to what is right or wrong.  She seemed to be a difficult person to work with; she reported Doocy and he (Ailes) made a change for her....would someone like Ailes be so stupid to make inappropriate comments to her?  I don't know the answer if he did or didn't and if he did, she should receive damages but she weakened her case by reporting this after the fact at a "seemingly" convenient time.  I don't think she is a shrinking violet or meek....she is a well educated, savvy woman who did not have to be a victim if she was nor does any man or woman....yes, it's uncomfortable to do but once the process starts, you are protected by the organization and federal/state EEOC....a person of his wealth and fame, would not dare retaliate because that is hard evidence and the financial damages even higher....but, we will have to see how this plays out...

Honored Contributor

Re: Ailes Out at Fox?

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@ChynnaBlue- I really don't know what she did or didn't do but they do have a published harrassment policy; she didn't follow that.  Today, with global businesses, it's not odd not to have an HR person and an HR person doesn't always handle these matters or at his level but there is usually an onbudsperson, EAP counselor or online process to report inpropriety.  I know retaliation still happens but men are well educated today as to what is right or wrong.  She seemed to be a difficult person to work with; she reported Doocy and he (Ailes) made a change for her....would someone like Ailes be so stupid to make inappropriate comments to her?  I don't know the answer if he did or didn't and if he did, she should receive damages but she weakened her case by reporting this after the fact at a "seemingly" convenient time.  I don't think she is a shrinking violet or meek....she is a well educated, savvy woman who did not have to be a victim if she was nor does any man or woman....yes, it's uncomfortable to do but once the process starts, you are protected by the organization and federal/state EEOC....a person of his wealth and fame, would not dare retaliate because that is hard evidence and the financial damages even higher....but, we will have to see how this plays out...

Please re-read, @Stray. My post was about my friend's situation, not Megyn Kelley's. I don't know her situation. You told me to advise my friend, not Megyn Kelley. The "she" in my post is my friend. My friend does not work for a global company with a large HR department or an ombudsman. She works for a small company that only operates in Texas. Many people work for small businesses where discrimination and harassment are more common because they lack a structured system to deal with them.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Ailes ain't the only one that may be out of a job.

He made a career and a network that has been allowed to lie. To be able to exploit the 1st amendment's right to free speech and allow it to lie and distort the right to a free press. He has been a shill and a pig that uses women for his own gross, ugly gratification and his viewership.

I completely disagree with you, and I, as well as millions of other people, want to hear what Foxnews is reporting.  If you don't, just don't watch/listen to it.  From your assessment of it, I don't think you do anyway.

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@StrayI think you might be missing the point. Almost 10 years ago, the Murdoch sons became alarmed about the direction the station was going in and wanted Ailes removed. In the power struggle, Rupert sided with Ailes and one of his sons too another job.

Now Rupert has turned the reins of his company over to his kids - he is transitioning, spending time with his new wife and getting out of the biz. His sons want Ailes out and want to change the direction of the news networks.

When women started speaking up, after 20 years of harassment from Ailes, the sons had the opening they needed to remove him - finally.

BTW - Ailes has retaliated against people his whole life - in every situation imaginable. He presided over Dirty Tricks back in the 70s.

I cannot even begin to understand how people defend him.